1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sony PCM-M10 Portable Recorder

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, May 5, 2010.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I hate joining other sites just to ask one question so I'm going to go ahead and ask here just in case one of you can tell me.

Short backstory:

So I've used my MZ-M10 since probably 2006ish. Recording concerts and practice sessions. Great little unit the quality has always impressed me... the negatives of the hi-md technology like forced sonic stage use for transfers, DRM, size of carrying a stack of discs, etc has put me off from using it as much as I would like. It also has started to fail and will not read or record on classic MDs.

The point/question:

The PCM-M10 is like the little brother of the PCM-D50. From the reviews, hands down it is perfect for the light usage I require. I'll spare you the list of features but basically it addresses nearly every "con" of my previous device.

Does anyone here have experience in using the PCM-M10 on a Windows XP Professional 64 bit?

Sony says:
    "Pre-Installed
    64 bit versions of Windows XP are not supported."

source:
    http://www.sony-mea.com/support/faq/361154/product/pcm-m10/modelfirst

I've searched the internets with no firm answer... what I'm thinking is that they do not want to 'support' xp x64 in the technical support sense and the device will still work as a drag a drop medium allowing me to access both the internal memory and the external card through the device... but I'm not sure.

Here is something that I believe supports my "theory" that it will still work in a drag and drop context... It comes with Sound Forge 9 and from sony's site they say:
    "* 64 bit versions of Windows XP are not supported."

Source:
    http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/faq/faqfile.aspx?site=odw_de_AT&m=PCM-M10&f=PA_SOFT_SFASLE

I'm thinking the included software in the box doesn't support windows xp 64 bit so they would rather not mention it supports it at all.

So after emailing both sony professional sales and consumer sales and waiting 4 days I finally got an answer...

"Due to the complexity of our products, we are unable to assist you via email."

2. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Well ordered one anyway the other day. We will see how it goes. Worse case I just use my other OS (kept that part secret I've got a hot swappable raid cage in the front of my desktop).

Hopefully it is as good as the reviews say it is. Now comes the hard part finding good deals on micro memory sticks.

3. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Just in case someone searches for this I'll go ahead and answer my question.

Bought the PCM-M10. It is great. Great quality and now I can get rid of all my minidisc crap.

It works perfectly with Win Professional XP x64 ( 64 bit ). The included sound forge software also works perfect with XP x64. Lastly sony's product support sucks... they almost lost a customer because they couldn't redirect me to someone that could answer it without suggesting I call and sit on hold while some knuckle head tries to research it.

Anyway great little device. Multiple thumbs up! Multiple thumbs down on the customer service of both Sony consumer and Sony pro... Sony pro never even responded and its been weeks!!!