1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SONY-The Epitome of Corporate Idiocy In Hot Water Yet Again!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Owl, Nov 3, 2006.

1. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Gotta love SONY, in my mind the absolute DUMBEST corporation on the planet, bar none!

First it was writing fake movie reviews, then it's payola, then a laughably stooooopid attempt to prevent CD copying (soundly defeated by writing in black marker around the edge of a disc), then an iPod-like device that can only play Sony's proprietary audio file format which sank like a rock, then it's putting self-installing spyware on CD's, prolonged delays in getting out the PS-3, exploding laptop batteries and NOW, those dumba$$e$ are under investigation for price-fixing on SRAM chips, see story here:

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/54022.html

Why ANYBODY would want to buy anything from this company after all the crap they've pulled is completely beyond my comprehension. I'm not against large companies, but I sure would LOVE to see SONY go down in flames! Those shysters deserve it. [​IMG]

2. +infinity.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    My Sony MP3 player is awsome :)

4. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Your forgot producing the combustible laptop batteries for Dell and Apple....

The Owl likes this.
  5. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Edited to add, thanks!

6. I've had buggy PS1s and PS2s I've had to send for repairs.....I will not be buying another Sony game system unless they can convince me otherwise.

7. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    My Sony CD player was really nice while it lasted. It only lasted about three months, though. :(

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Go ahead and rag on them "big Entertainment" guys. They deserve it. After a while, they all get divided and their various divisions get spun or sold off anyway.

9. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    For being the epitome of corporate idiocy they seem to be doing rather well.

10. Read a couple issues back in Wired. They've barely been afloat for years. If the PS3 tanks, nail the coffin...every other division is doing poorly.

11. s.m.80808

s.m.80808

May 5, 2006
    i like MD.

12. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    Sony turds of honorable mention should also include Betamax, MiniDisc, and Blu-Ray. Nobody, and I mean nobody can build dead-end formats like those guys! Memory stick? Please. SD and CF are standards...

I included Blu-Ray in the above list only because, even though it's barely out of the gate, their recent (and past) track record on defining failed formats is bound to kill it before very long. No one is likely to buy into a new Sony format.

The Owl likes this.
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Already having significant hardware issues (search digg).

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Minidisc rules. And Sony also co-invented a format you may have heard of.... Compact Disc Digital Audio.

Other than that, Sony does have a penchant for re-engineering their own proprietary format for lots of stuff where a perfectly good standard already exists.

Throw SACD onto your list. Apparently DVD-Audio wasn't good enough for them.

15. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    I am aware of this, although I think that Phillps probably had the lion's share of intelligent input on the original Orange Book standard (they were also responsible for Compact Cassette).

As for MiniDisc, it has been relegated to pro/semi-pro use, much like DAT became, after it failed as a consumer format.

Rules? Isn't it a lossy compression format, like MP3?

Fo shizzle.

Oh snap, forgot about that one.

16. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Im a Nintendo lover anyway ;)

Wii, here I come!!

17. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    i've never had any problems with sony products i've owned.
    but i am more of a toshiba kind of person in general tho. but my sony car stereo has been nothing but great

18. I worked in a shop that ran some servers for a Sony division... had meetings with the Mother company a few times. We actually hosted the boxes in the EverQuest colo.... I like and buy Sony stuff.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes, it is lossy. But nothing like MP3. And it rules. There is nothing comparable for field recording, every reporter for every print or internet news organization will swear by it. And concert recordists love it too (more and more artists are allowing recording of concerts - MiniDisc is the perfect medium).

MD was very successful in many non-USA markets as a consumer format.