soon another TUBE bass Overdrive pedal! *** EBS - VALVEDRIVE ***

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Hi!

Just found something very interesting in a bass player article about a new EBS pedal with valve in it... the EBS ValveDrive!
    here's a link to look it, not very informating, but I did't find anything better in the web until now.. but I'm sure the EBS site will soon have infos..

I read that it can be used as Preamp or as Overdrive unit and that you can switch between two different sounds:"Modern" and "Vintage"
    hmm... sounds cool.

There is also a WAH/VOLUME PEDAL/ENVELOPE FILTER which is new in the EBS line, I think. You can also see it on this pic.
  2. hooray!! more awesome EBS i can't afford!!
  3. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
  4. That looks sooo good. Oh man.... GAS.... rising.....

alas, EBS tend to cost a lot more than I afford to pay :bawl:
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, THAT will make a bunch of Swedish bassists broke.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yep, you got that right!

I've owned a number of over drive pedals over the years including the EBS Multi-Drive and a Tubeworks Blue Tube pedal with an onboard 12ax7. They didn't quite suit my tastes because you typically lost some low-end when you engaged the overdrive circuit. This new pedal looks interesting. We have an EBS dealer in town, so I look forward to trying one out soon.
    :bassist: :rolleyes: :bassist:
  7. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    My valvedrive is on the way!!! :bassist:
  8. rafunk

Sep 18, 2005
    Valencia, Spain
    Well, I got it ten days ago, and I'm very satisfied.

Really it is not a modern overdrive (distortion) pedal, is a tube pream that you can play a lot between the "gain" and the "volume" pots. When you increases the gain and decreases the volume (for the same output volume, I mean) you have a traditional tube overdrive. If you decreases the gain pot and increases the volume pot you have a more clear sound (like a preamp). Besides, you have bass, middle and treble pots for a more complete eq.

In my case, mostly playing fretless, I have (ready for sale now) a SansAmp that have the problem that don't have middle control, and the overdrive is "dry". With the valvedrive I'm happy: I have more middle presence, a smooth overdrive, and plenty of low-end.

The "vintage" function gives a more compressed overdrive sound. It's nice too.

Same day I bought the Valvedrive I sold the EBS Multidrive I Had.

IMHO is a very recommendable tool for who have a mosfet amplifier (like me) and want to have a more tube sound, in addition that this tube sound can convert into a overdrive.

Appologizes for my bad english.
  9. what bout the Wah One, looks good to me any body tried one?
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That looks pretty killer. It might be a great preamp to put in front of an IP Bergantino series cab (or two).

11. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Hmm, EBS ValveDrive vs EHX English Muff'n, let the war of the valve overdrives begin!
  12. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I ve received it this morning and this preamp drives me totaly crazy!

I love that sound.
  13. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

That sounds like a great little unit.

BTW, you speak english better than many people born in english speaking countries!
  14. Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
    Are the stock tubes good?
    It's an expensive decision to make.