soon, this WILL BE MINE!!! if i play my cards right.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Sep 17, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i need to differentiate between SPALT and TOTEM GUITARS...

from the source:

The Spalt basic Models are Matrix (4-string), Terminator (5-string), and Magma (Lightwave 4- or
    5-string). They all have the similar design. Originally, they startet out as guitars, but did not find acceptance. Since the basses gain more ground
    we've had increasingly requests for guitars in that design, though.

The Totemguitars were our first line of guitars. You might know that Michael has a strong background in fine arts, which he incorporates in these
    guitars. The concept is basically a wooden body made of selected tonewood,on which objects are applied. The whole thing gets covered with a layer
    resin, and the body is then shaped to accomodate pickups, hardware, etc..The resin does not affect the tone quality, it seems to only add to the
    clarity of the tone and allows for the natural tone of the wooden back to show through. I've heard Michael say that it's similar to a Maple top. Each
    piece is unique. The models that Michael designed are built with different necks and hardware, and can be modified to the customer's liking. He's
    pretty much stopped making his own designs, though, because we realized that this is really a custom thing. The customer can bring his own things (grandfather's memorabilia, photos, the possibilities are endless) and either create his own design or have Michael design it. We had customers,
    who gave a detailed description of how they wanted the things to be placed etc., and then those, who leave it to Michaels creative impulses. They get photos before it is finalized & can make corrections.

The customer gets the choice to buy one of our models in stock, or to truly create a custom designed, unique instrument. After a while we've started to receive inquiries for basses made that way, so we did that & that's how Modine came to life.

SO, there ya have it...AND if HENRY KAISER is a customer, they must be doing SOMETHING right.

i need to sell some more crap!!!!

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    THAT is an awesome looking instrument!
    One more bass I want to play!

...That looks like Gary Willis in the background?
  3. Ya know, I really like the "weathered barn door" look to the top. Very unique.

4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    HA! Fooled you. It actually IS a weather barn door! :D
  5. fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    The pic looks fake the top kind of looks like it was just pasted into a guitar outline :D
  6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    hehe, yeah it kind of does.

BUT, she be real:

7. THAT'S kind of a cool idea!
  8. I liked the raw, unfinished look at the top of the page better!

Why did they have to go and make it all shiney!