1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Soon to be completed Grove Guitars Moosehead Cutlass bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Shedua511, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    So what do you get when you put together an old Moosehead Beer crate and the great work of Scott Smail of Grove Guitars?

You go from this:
    photo_1_1365426662_452492.
    photo_2_1365426678_675397.
    photo_3.

...to THIS!
    Moosehead_2.

Moosehead_3.

Moosehead_1.

This bass will have a Status Graphite 5 string neck, Nordstrand PU and John East electronics. Body is black walnut with a crate top. I know, I know: it's not a kosher Stingray, but I'll call it the Cutlass Reborn nonetheless :bag:

Looking forward to picking it up in Cincinnati in a couple of weeks!
    Scott has been a complete pleasure to deal with, I recommend him very highly for high quality, unique work at a very reasonable price (easy to tell that he has satisfied customers: one of them is on his third build!).

Terracite, blindrabbit and potomac like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That may be one of the top 5 coolest bass projects I have ever seen. Great idea followed by great craftsmanship.

Edit to add: I checked out the link. That guy's work is simply incredible. If they sound/play as good as they look, those basses are right up there on my favorites list.

3. davens

davens

Jan 24, 2005
    Stoney Creek, ON
    Big fan of his crate top guitars; really inspiring me to do one when I find the right crate... This one is being pulled off exceptionally well!

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    It makes me want to go to some antique stores and look for stuff to butcher.

5. Neek

Neek

Nov 26, 2008
    South Florida
    Very cool!

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Me too! I'm seriously going to look through my grandmother's house and a few other relatives' houses this weekend when I go back home for a visit. I bet there's an old crate in the attic somewhere!

7. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Thank you for the kind words! Scott truly works some magic.
    I just got an email from him: the body has received the last laquer layer, it's hanging to dry for the next 10 days.
    There's a market on eBay for vintage crates, when I went looking for the right crate I found some fascinating specimens. Not all would work as a crate top though: dimensions and condition are important factors.
    I ended up with the Moosehead because besides looking cool, there are lots of moose here in Norway. And I like beer...

8. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Absolutely gorgeous! Should be a killer instrument.

(all of a sudden I'm very thirsty....)

9. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    ...and it is finished! full pictures here!
    Really looking forward to Sunday :hyper:

10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Love the concept! Grove does amazing work.

11. Oh my! I love Grove Guitars' style (the old crates as tops) and would love one someday. Pretty easy to guess what I'd do if I found some old wooden crate someday (hard to find in Finland nowadays)...

12. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Just got back from Scott's place: what a sweet bass this is! Looks beautiful and sounded great through Scott's impressive rig.
    A piece of art that kicks some serious low end, what more can one ask?

A big thank you to Scott for making a truly great bass, let alone one of a kind, and for being such a sweetheart with my nephew Matteo!

13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    And the pics are where, exactly?

;)

14. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    I know: no pictures, no bass :D
    I only have my iPad with me, haven't figured a way to attach pictures... if you browse Scott's site, it's the top bass in the bass section, the FHP Bull Moose 5: click here

15. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Just for completeness, a few pictures ;) this bass turned out really well, I'm using it a lot.

image.
    image.
    image.
    image.
    image.

16. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Pics were definitely worth waiting for. That looks really cool.

As a bass player and a beer drinker, I approve this message. :D

DanBass81 likes this.
  17. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Effin' gorgeous. Love his work.

18. mgalat

mgalat

Dec 5, 2011
    Just a question, why is the B string top loaded while the other 4 are string through?

19. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Because I've read somewhere (probably here) that the low B on Thomastick flatwounds can break if bent at the angle needed for through body mounting. Didn't want to take that chance :)

20. This bass has REALLY caught my attention! What a fantastic looking project! It just might be time to contact Grove for a quote...