Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soon to be newbie DB player!

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Howard K, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    This Saturday I'm going to, hopefully, see some guy who lives local to me and hire a DB from him for a trial period..

What I'm after is recommendations of classic albums with some nice and simple double bass playing on it... stuff that would be great to listen to and great to learn from...

I'm currently wearing a groove in my copies of Kind Of Blue and Night Train... :)

...and yes I will be looking for a finding a teacher locally as soon as poss!

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Cannonball and Nancy Wilson -- Sam Jones and Louis Hayes

Anything with Ray Brown on it.

Any Red Mitchell.

Oscar Pettiford.

3. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Mingus - anything

A lot of John Patitucci albums have easy to pick up bass lines are usually mixed so that you can hear the bass without straining.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Hmm. I have Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus already, fantastic.
    ...but it sounds about as far from nice n simple as you could get?!

Pattitucci sounds like a good bet tho, very often it is hard to hear.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Anything by Charlie Haden. Check out "Beyond the Missouri Sky" with Pat Metheny or his Quartet West albums.

Patitucci's great, but you won't sound like that for a while.

6. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Second that Haden recommendation. What I love about his playing is that he shows you how incredibly musical you can be with simple lines played in lower positions. The lines on "Beyond the Missouri Sky" are easy enough for a beginner to cop, but you'll learn a lot of figuring out why he played them.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Charlie Haden with Kenny Barron on "Night and the City". It's a duo recording, so you get to hear the bass loud and clear. Charlie's playing on this disc illustrates the principle that "Less is More".

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK

i suspect this is an understatement! ;)

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The album that REALLY made me want to pick up a DB was Ron Carter and Jim Hall's "Telepathy" double CD.

All I have to say is that it's aptly named!

10. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Check out Scott lafaro with the bill evans trio.

Dave Holland is a must too. His solo albums or with Miles in the late 60's....

/lovebown

11. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Speaking of Bill Evans' bassists, check out Eddie Gomez, too. After all of these years I finally had a chance to catch him at David Gage's clinic on Tuesday. Very lyrical, awsome chops (almost like the old days!).

Nick

:)