1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soon to buy new bass mainly for metal. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bangbang, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bangbang

bangbang

Oct 1, 2006
    Hey, and thanks for taking the time to help a n00b out. Anyhow, I'll be pocketing some cash thanks to income tax, and I'll probably spend around five hundred bucks on a new bass. I haven't been thrashing long, about half a year, but I -HAVE- to get off this silvertone. *grumbles* Any tips, suggestions? Oh yea, like the title states, I like to play mainly metal. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Look at a Spector, maybe a Jazz Bass.....Lots of Metal guys play Ibanez's, The Yamaha 374 has killer tone, and cuts through for about $275. $50 -$75 for a good set-up and you have a real sweet bass. I have payed Metal most of my life, and used Yammys and Rics because they were always defined in the heavy mix. Jazz Basses and Spectors are great at this also. You can also check into Warwick Rockbasses, but I am not a fan of them personally, Peavey makes some nice basses in your price range too.

3. Oza

Oza

Dec 19, 2006
    i got a peavey, it would work fine for metal and they are pretty cheap too

4. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    B.C. Rich & ESP's are nice...maybe a little bit expensive though

5. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

Dec 12, 2006
    A good friend of mine just got a Peavey millinium 4 string. really a sweet bass for the money. really easy action, slim fast neck, great tone. The only complaint I have and this is just me, if you play with your fingers and you decide to get this bass, the string spacing is really narrow compared to my Carvin LB70 4string. He let me play it at one of my band practices on a couple of our songs and I had a hard time getting the spacing down, but then again I only played it for a couple of songs which not enough time to get used to it. My friend and I both play in metal bands and so far he has said that his bass cuts through really nice compared to to his old base line Ibanez.

6. bangbang

bangbang

Oct 1, 2006
    Hey thanks everyone. I'm going to take into account everyone's input. Also, Schecter. Any count?

7. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    You cannot find the bass. You must let the bass find you.
    Only when you have thrice farted while listening to Ozzy on a waxing moon will the bass reveal itself.

8. spector ReBop or better, versitile tone... good quality for the money

9. have a play with some of the spectors as mentioned above. They do offer good value for money and do fit the bill for metal well :)

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Yamaha bb series a worth a look.

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

ESP/LTD anything in the 404 series

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Are there any metal bands out there whose bass sounds you really like? It might help people to give you suggestions.

Personally I'd say an Ibanez, Spector, or maybe a used Warwick, those would be around your price range.

13. yaniv

yaniv

Oct 26, 2006
    ibanez RD300 got a very growly tone from the humbucker.it might be a good use for you (you said you play MAINLY metal and this bass got a jazz pickup in the neck too so it could be good for the other stuff yoy play)
    my suggestion is:dont go for the V shaped or any of the weird shaped basses just because u like to play metal.check the normal basses first

14. bangbang

bangbang

Oct 1, 2006
    Hey and thanks again. I -REALLY- dig the basslines for The Haunted. Also, Killswitch's bass lines are pretty snazzy. I went to a local guitar shop today and gave a couple of guitars a few strums. The few I really digged were the Ibanez SRX300. They also had a Dean razorback, it played nice, but the pricetag I'm sure is because of Dimebag himself. Also strummed a Schecter Omen, which also sounded pretty good. Damn government needs to hurry and give me my money.

15. I play in a metal band and I have a Spector Rebop 4 and also a Schecter Elite 5 both work very well for me :D.

16. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    I use a Yamaha BB614 in my metal band and it works great..

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The look might be a bit "retro rock" for a metal band...

As a solid intermediate bass for use in a metal band I'd advise you to look into the Ibanez BTB series. They are well built, sound very good and aren't too expensive. I never used mine for playing in a metal band but it would be perfectly suited to that kind of thing. Whats more, if you want to branch out the BTB will have your bases covered for funk/jazz/fusion and such. Something to look into.

18. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    Ok, why not just advise him to get a B C Rich ? That looks more metal, which is all that matters apparantly.

19. the more expensive yamaha RBX are great for metal with the twin buckers, metalic paint and 3d head. great necks on the yamahas too.

20. I have about 30 basses of various brands and quality and I'd have to say that ANY of them would be equally good for metal. Brand doesn't really matter. It's all in the way you play, the strings you use and the way you set up your amp and effects, if any. Be it hollowbody, active, passive, fretless, 4-string, 6-string, old, new, cheap, expensive, etc. and I'll make the tone adjustments to fit any kind of metal. Sure some basses are better than others generally speaking, but as far as I'm concerned practically any bass can be set up to play any style. I think what really matters is the way the bass is set up to feel right to you when you play, and obviously certain brands or models will suit you better. But don't listen to us, just go try out the different basses and see what feels right for you since everybody is different.