1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Soon to get new bass, recomendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 24, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    So yeah, i've realised that with hard work..i can get lots of money to buy things...and since my amps are all pimped out, i wanna start saving for a bass, but i dunno wich one. That's where the amazing people of TB come in. Currently i play an ibanez stater package bass..and i love that thing, but i wanna up grade. I play through a Gk BK 600 and avatar 4x10, and i like my big muff pi. money wise i'm planning on saving up around 600 dollars...but i could up towards 1000 if i felt it was a good idea. I just wanna get a fretted bass, 4 strings. maybe 5 or 6 if it was a good deal, but 4 is good. i like wide string spacing and a big fat neck is always a plus, but not needed (35 inch scale might be cool). i have no issue with possibly upgrading the bass after i buy it with lets say new electronics or something. now my style of music varries, i love to lay down a phat groove with ska, or jazz, and i like ska punk, and i enjoy metal, i'm learning slap and rock and lots of stuff...so i would want kinda an all around bass. i've been playing for a year and a half...by the time i get the money i'll hit two years ( i know that's not much..but god i love bass). oh yeah, haha, i need at least 22 frets, perferable 24 (yeah, i do use all those frets) I have played a few high end bass, like a fender P-bass...wich i loved...but that's just cause it felt so right, like the neck.

I've done some researching..and it seems to me that if i were to get http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=512700
    then it would be everything i need. and according to the reviews, and some posts on TB, it seems like an AMAZING bass for 600.

does any one have any recomendations or opinions?
    thanks a bunch if you even spend any time to look at this thread

~Kaja~

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would recommend trying out Warwick, Fender, and Traben (I play one and love it). That bass you gave a link to looks very sexy too.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    For $600 you can get a Fender Highway 1 P-Bass. Great bass for the money. For a few hundred more you can get the American Standard, but, after playing both I bought the H1. Not enough difference in my eyes to justify the extra dough. YMMV.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I would definatly say get a good P-bass.

5. IF you can find it, ESP LTD B-305FM. Been playing it for a little over a year and it hasn't let me down yet. Has nice thick tone, active EMG's, neck-thru, bunch of other perks to it. Great bass. Five string and now, I think it's only about $600. Not sure, did a trade in and paid with credit too...But, if you can afford it, a Rickenbacker.

6. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i totally understand what your saying...but any bass i'm gonna buy has to have at least 22 frets. it's just one thing i'm gonna be a freak about

7. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Lakland Skyline 55. I just sold a Warwick Rockbass Fortress 5 that was damn nice. Fat neck. Musicman Sub 5s are good values. Better yet, a used Stingray 5 is one of the best deals going. G&L might have yer bass, too.

8. I am in the same boat somewhat. Well I already have a 4 and a 5. But I want to step up to the next level in quality, and my Korean Tobias is not it! I am kinda mystified at the lack of quality basses inthe $700-1000 range. It seems that they are all $1200 and up for an American made quality bass. In the sub $700 range are an onslaught of cheap Korean/Chinese licensed knockoffs of stateside manufacturers. Like G&L, Conklin, Lakland, Spector etc.
    I may just go for a GC special on the MM Sub next time it rolls around. It's at least amrican made, but I wonder why it is half the price of all the other MM basses like the Bongo, Stingray, etc. But heck, when you are going from a starter package bass, anything is a step up right? Why not just get a good Ibanez?

9. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    insane amount of options available for you so it really is a matter of personal preferance.

I was GASsin for a geddy lee jazz, then I played a Jaguar and went home with it. The Jag is just over $700 but hte geddy has been around a few years and can get one used for around $400-500. Just my input tho.

have fun shopping around tho. Play as many different basses as you can until you find the one that sings to you.