Sooo, have any of you used employment agencies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Mar 9, 2005.

1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I graduated in December with a degree in geography. The job search has been stagnant, to say the least. To this point, I've only had interest from insurance agencies. However, I was recently contacted by one employment agency, and I have an interview with another later this week. I was wondering, how many of you have found careers with jobs found through an employment agencies? At first I was gung-ho about finding a job in my field of study, but now I'm pretty much open to anything that has decent hours and allows me to live semi-comfortably while paying back student loans and rent...
  2. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    i have. three jobs through staffing firms. a feature i looked for though that is was a temporary to hire firm, meaning i dont work for the agency forever and can get hired on by the place, they send me to.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Just be careful of hidden charges. Although my experience is with temp. agencies they normally found someway to screw me out of about 15% of my wage. Just be careful of what you're signing up for.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've found all my jobs the old-fashioned way but it can't hurt to get you're name in with some reputable employment firms. I've been through two periods of unemployment, one which was about 6 months, but I've always gotten through it and found good jobs. Be diligent! I know it's hard to stay motivated to look for jobs every day but stick with whatever it takes to make yourself find a job. Scan the papers daily and get the word out to all the people you know that you're looking for a job. Also, don't settle so much that you end up in a job you'll hate. During this last episode of unemployment I turned down an offer after the interview just because I could tell I wasn't going to like it. Getting an interview is half the battle. I've never had an interview that didn't lead to a job offer so far and this is the 4th job I've had since college.

Are you looking to be in a certain town or do you not care where you live? If you don't care where you live than scan the online classifieds every sunday in newspapers for some towns that you'd like to live in. Never know what you might find...especially in big cities...I know the Houston Paper is loaded with job openings on Sundays.

brad cook
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm not exactly unemployed, I've actually been working full time hours with the company I've been with since I started college. The problem is, the job sucks and I'll need a better income once the student loans kick in. I'll actually be paid about a grand for quitting this gig (vacation hours and employee stock)! But, I'm doing everything you're supposed to...send in the resume, follow up call, etc. I also check out companies' websites, often job listings aren't listed in classifieds. My problem is lack of experience. I've even been turned down for entry level jobs for such...this is why I'm thinking employment agency is my next option. But it sounds like this one agency might be pretty good. I talked to the guy twice, he's gonna try to get me an interview with his "client" and he'd even look around for suitable apartments in the area (the job is in Harrisburg, PA, I live about 75 miles away in case you guys don't read UTM).
  6. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    As a computer programmer that's pretty much the way I have to go right now. I lost my job after 9/11, only about 2 years experience. For the next year companies were only looking for 10+ years experience. Then the over all skill level companies were looking for started to come down. However, with the market being that dead for that long I would be competing with 300+ people for a position. And I know people who have 10+ years experience were applying for entry level positions just to get work. So sticking out fromt he crown was tough. Because of that trend of companies getting over loaded with resumes they have moved to asking staffing firms to do the job of filtering out the applicants. 90% of the jobs for computer programmers advertised right now are through a staffing firm. Most jobs are temp to hire. With this much competition it is tough for a company to find a person that measures up. So many will temp hire a person for about 3 months, and if they fit well with the company then they will hire full time.

So, in my field most of the jobs out there start through a staffing firm first. Which for me helped out. This job I have now is only a temp position, but it is giving me current experience which is attractive to prospective employers.