1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sooooo, any bad expierences with MM SUB's or Fender Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bmoney, Dec 25, 2006.

1. bmoney

bmoney

Oct 8, 2006
    Freehold NJ
    Wednesday is the day I'm going to Guitar Center to buy a new bass, and It's either the MM SUB or the Fender Deluxe jazz.

Wondering if there are any bad expierences with these. I heard that the Jazz comes with a crappy bridge, and I don't want to have to buy a new one, and the SUB sometimes has weird preamp response with the G string.

All replies appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
    Brendan

2. bmoney

bmoney

Oct 8, 2006
    Freehold NJ
    Its never too early for a bump, its Christmas.

soooooooooooooooooooooo bump

3. Well any new bass will probably need an adjustment to make it right for your playing style, and which would you rather consider replacing as part of your setup, a bridge (50-60 bucks for a badass or gotoh), or a preamp, which can be about the same price or a lot more. I personally don't have a problem with the bridges on Fenders, and other than being a bit too much range for my tastes the MM preamps sound fine to me....so I say play one or two of each and see which one you like the feel and sound of better.

It really comes down to which one makes you want to play it when you're sitting on the couch watching reruns on TV...whichever does that, will be the one you end up keeping for a long time.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

MM SUB basses are extremely high quality. They are MIA, and made in the same place as the full-priced MM's. It's got a passive pup and active electronics, I believe, and a different type of paint job.

I don't have much hands on experience with the Fender Deluxe.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you can still find a SUB (they've been discontinued) snatch it up. They're every bit a quality bass, lacking a few fancy appointments of the Stingray. Less attractive woods, fewer contours and lower cost finishing. If you can pick up an active model, it's electronically identical to a 2 band Stingray I believe.

As far as the response with the G string, it's nothing to do with the SUB. It's a design characteristic of the Stingray which slappers love as well as myself.

-----------

As far as the Fender bridge, I wouldn't call them junk. Many replace them for Badasses, while I do the opposite and put standard Fender style bridges on them.

6. as far as i'm concerened SUB's dont touch the quality and the feel of Ray's. And as far as the Deluxe Jazz, I just didnt dig the pre in the last active fender I tried.

They are completely different sounding and feeling instruments... let your preference guide you.

7. Well, you are going to guitar center arent you? Then try both of them, and pick the one that suits you, check everything about the bass.

8. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I actually found the preamp in the MIM Deluxe jazz to be pretty decent, especially when boosting the Mids and cutting the Treble for some jazzy stuff. It had some noise, but it is a "budget" instrument, and the noise wasn't bad when played through a Fender Bassman. I liked the sound of the Deluxe Jazz. The SUBs I have not played.