1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sooooooooooo... yeah, You have a bazillion basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marc DLarosa, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    So do I.

But... in reality... I only play (when I have time) about 7, or 8 of them, regularly. Yes, I have favorites. Therefore, I'm gonna ask (and I don't care how many you have)... "Let's see your 5, OR LESS, favorites. Heck, I have a end all, baddest bass in the world (we all have a "Baby." I've had Mine for 30 years). But, She has a bit of competition. Then... there are over 40 behind that.

5 or less, TB'ers.

Please... 5 or less.

Oh, wait... 5 or less...

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you first.

Clark Dark and BassBuzzRS like this.
  3. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    That’s a good point, but what is it?

4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    we have control of the snerbicle.
    we have control of the flombicle.
    do not adjust your head.

twinjet and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I tried to narrow it down to just 5.... couldn't do it

6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    These are my faves. (Both tuned to open sea):

593B12B4-7976-4C91-B839-3CD90BA8F7BA.

reddog, ReasonablyHappy, JRA and 9 others like this.
  7. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I'll be the first to actually answer the question seriously. It wasn't easy. I've got 30 of 'em. Several are worth a good deal more than the five pictured here, but when push comes to shove, these are my go-to basses narrowed down to five. Obviously, it would have been easier to pick ten. Four of these look like Fenders, but I built all of those. The one I did not build is a Reverend. As you can guess, my overall favorite is the '58 clone in the center.

Of course now, all my other basses are sad...LOL!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

8. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    downloadfile-2.

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I have one for recording, one main one for live, one beater for open-mics where anyone might pick it up and play, one genuine vintage, and about a dozen that were just for fun.

They don't all live at the same place. I'll try to get pics later.

10. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    Boston
    Same here own about 8 or 9 but only use 5 or so as my main players or “tools”.

3 Kubicki ExFactor’s

Two in the studio. One tuned standard one Eb. One at home for practice.

Yamaha motion B in Drop D. Medium scaled to match the Kubicki’s.
    If you’re in a cover band and play ExFactors you would know why this is sometimes necessary.

A Fender Acoustic/ electric bass for playing unplugged stuff and when I want to just grab something quick without messing with cords etc.

Oh also a Schecter 34 scale for home I practice with occasionally as well. Ok I lied. 6 tools I regularly use. :rolleyes:

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  11. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    If I had to pick five out of the stable I currently own:

1. Lakland 44-64 P/J
    2. Fender P (Franken-Fender...Dee Dee Ramone body, Geddy Neck, Gezzer pup)
    3. Rickenbacker 4003 Mapleglo
    4. Fender Blacktop Jazz (w/Precision Special neck)
    5. Fender (Franken-Fender P/J will Bill Lawrence pups and 70's Bound and blocked neck- all maple)

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  12. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship? Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I've crossposted the **** out of my G&L. If anyone wants to see my one bass, it's on my media page.

Stats:
    1989 L-2000
    "Pat. Pending"/"by Leo Fender"
    Cherryburst finish
    Alder body
    Rosewood fretboard, maple neck.

If it didn't sound interesting, reader, then you probably didn't want to see it anyway.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    scuzzy and TDR1138 like this.
  13. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I can't believe I still only have 1 bass. I browse Talkbass daily and yet GAS has stayed away for months!

Marc DLarosa and G-Z like this.
  14. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Of my nineteen sub-short scale(21-24"), I can't choose 5 or less favorites, but in the last couple of days, decided I just don't like two of them, so they're going to become parts for later use.

15. I haven’t owned more than two basses at a time in a decade. Just not into collecting. More into a nice main player and cheap but decent backup type of thing. That said here’s my top 5 all time. All of these basses were my main player at some point. Some for only a year, others for a full decade.

Dingwall ng2. My current main player and my baby. Can’t see parting ways with it. Even if it someday ends up being my backup bass I don’t think I’ll sell it. It’s an amazing bass and is basically a tribute bass for me dedicated to my father who passed away. He was obsessed with the color blue.
    82D3F88B-E7AF-4776-AC65-DB7B9F8B99DE.
    Warwick thumb nt6
    53078A3B-29C1-478E-A211-C90BDBE38879. 44170204-5FC2-4F2C-A3CA-F4B542A9F59B. Cool memory of that bass I played it at a gig opening for probably the the most well known Warwick thumb player in the world 8EFE1D0F-3114-4908-9025-5259E79035F8.
    Warwick thumb nt5 this is the bass I played the longest. I mainly sold it because it was starting to show signs of years of use but also because I had played it so long it no longer inspired me to write new music.
    0B5398BB-69D5-4DF2-8B6F-7E3ABF5890B7.
    Musicman SR5. Out of the 4 musicmans this was my favorite. Great bass. Wife hated the finish (I thought she was crazy)
    656BBC49-4D5C-4312-A534-322BBDF9CD21.
    Warwick FNA 5 my first nice bass. My first couple years of gigging were with this one. Great bass, one I recommend for people with back or shoulder issues as it was surprisingly light weight. 064E5CB9-B05B-4908-9E6C-3B3855981CC7.

GHOST AT, Ghastly and G-Z like this.
  16. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Mike Lull P4
    G&L L-2000
    Wal Mk3
    EBMM Sterling HH4
    Rob Allen MB-2

BWorm likes this.
  17. erigod23

erigod23

Mar 19, 2007
    Fredericton, NB
    I've currently got 4, but I've decided that 3 will be fine. I don't need the clutter of things I'm not using.

Marc DLarosa and G-Z like this.
  18. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Oz
    They've made appearances in other threads but, for what it's worth, the only two of the few I own that get much time:

Ric 4003
    20180507_114709.

Fender American Elite Precision
    20180506_145738.

19. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    In order to keep under the required five, we'll go with the white T-40

Attached Files:

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great looking basses! But I want your CARPET!!!