1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sooooooooooo... yeah, You have a bazillion basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marc DLarosa, Jun 11, 2018.

1. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Only 5? I'll give it a try...

IMG_0846.JPG
    Spector in sunlight 004.JPG
    new usa bridge 004.JPG
    us17084540_lg1.

mystic 001.JPG

Ghastly and Marc DLarosa like this.
  2. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    It's funny, I have four basses (that count :D) and sometimes feel "bad" about it...as in "Man I really do not need all of these, the practical and responsible thing to do would be to sell one or two."

And then I come on this website and you all make me feel better about it.

reddog, Dub56, GrooverMcTube and 3 others like this.
  3. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Well, see that? I guess our job here is done. Lol!

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hmmm, I've had a bazillion basses but currently only have 6 with 1 on order, 2 for sale, and 1-4 in my sights for the future. The ones that get regular use are:

#1 - my fave, from 2014 thanks to greg@rocketmusic for getting the reissue started. A G&L L-1000 with my favorite narrow neck in the world and the thundering roar of a neck MFD. As simple as you can get and still get those things and a decade bday gift from the family:

naturall1k-angle2.

#2 - another decade bday bass. If it were more comfortable for my wrists it would get more time. I play it for shorter gigs on occasion but can't play it for hours. Love semihollow, love the tone. Ordered new from Reverend back in the day (wish I had also gotten one in engine turned aluminum) in my favorite finish - bugeye black:

bumpypj-angle.

#3 is nothing particularly special - just all the comfort I get from a narrow necked G&L that agrees with me and lucked out with light weight. I leave it setup DGCF because one group I work with changes keys on tunes a lot and since I'm restricted to 4s I like having DGCF as an option when it works for one or more tunes we are doing. I need to install the DiMarzio Model Js I have for it and am considering whether to route it and turn it into a "Tribute L1K":

naturaltribjb2-2.JPG

#4 is the one 23" scale uke bass that survived my simplification purge last year. With my hand/wrist limitations it's the closest I'll ever get to an acoustic bass in sound. Suprisingly I have no discomfort while playing it and it's a ton of fun. I am considering finding a fretted version when my currently forsale/trade L1Ks go because although fretless sounds great my ears are better than my fingers/intonation and I'd like to have this sound with the precision (or imprecision) of frets). Gold Tone Microbass 23 fretless:

DSC_6626.JPG

#5 is hopeful - it's on order, supposed to be completed this month. It's "hopeful" because I'm hoping it will be comfortable to play and have some interesting acoustic-ishly useful sounds. It's an Eastwood Delta 4 in black. 30" scale, 1.5" nut width and I'm thinking a TV Jones pickup may be in order once it arrives. If I don't like it I'll see if they'll exchange it for a tenor guitar (wanted to try out one of those):

delta4bass-image.

That's 5 and they cover everything I might want to do and sound like pretty well . . . maybe I should stop buying and selling :)

Ghastly, Marc DLarosa and G-Z like this.
  5. Plenty basses but picking 5 was easy.

1st. Early 80's Tune Bass Maniac, Saw this reviewed in a magazine back in 82 but it took me until 2016 to find one,very hard to find even in Japan. 3 octave fretless powered by piezo.
    Maniac (2).

2. Again I first knew about these back in the early 80's . Patrice Vigier's French creations were making waves in the UK with his carbon necks and delta metal fretboards. Patrice later changed to 10/90 carbon/wood necks. Timber sourced in France,pickups and preamps built in France, the Vigiers were and are amazing. Building only small numbers each year you have to hunt to find them on the used market. My Arpege III was one of just 16 built in 1992.
    Burgundy Vigier (2).
    3rd. Cheapest bass I own by a large margin but it's the one most played. £76 Harley Benton PB-50 with Peavey super ferrite single and TI jazz flats. They were great as stock but I fancied a Cabronita look. Slipped with the chisel,a spare SF saved the day :) The one on the right is stock,strung with tapes :thumbsup:
    PB 50s (1).
    4. It's another cheaper bass. Peavey Zepher or C5,never sold in the US. The feeling is Peavey were testing the water for an affordable Cirrus style bass. This Zephyr 5 cost me £100 but I've since swapped pickups to Warman jazzbar humbuckers , Tone Monster preamp, Wilkinson lite tuners,Wilkinson bridge,brass nut and Marshall amp knobs. An incredibly lively bass and extremely stable too.
    Zephyr 2.

Lastly number 5. UK designer David Konig always has neat ideas.His ideas came in small runs of 8 or 12.there were fewer of the Super-P. A lovely passive P/MM with a mini switch for series/parallel/single coil,think I got the last one. His Retrovibe basses are now handled by Chowny Bass.
    Super P (1).

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  6. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    It's actually a large, thick rug but definitely a good one.

two fingers likes this.
  7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    IMG_8753.JPG
    20170918_134058.
    20180308_145032.
    20161212_162917.

ReasonablyHappy and G-Z like this.
  8. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Was that one of the 1st run FNAs with SD preamp and SD pickup?
    One of those with a wenge neck made me realize the thing I didn't like about my Stingrays was that the MM pickup sounds better in the P position.

9. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    Very NICE!!! The "personal touch..."

10. I can’t remember on the electronics. Sold it around 2004 or 2005 when I started mainly playing the thumb basses. Found the FNA new at Guitar center while I was in Chicago in the summer of 2000 but I want to say it was a 99 model, not sure . I do remember it was definitely a Wenge neck though.

11. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    OK I will play...it's hard enough to narrow it down to my 5 favorite Jazz basses, let alone adding the rest of the collection, but if pressed, these are the 5 I would choose:

L to R --> Fender Aerodyne PJ , EBMM Stingray , "'61" Fender Jazz , Rickenbacker 4003 , Fender USA Precision
    ISe1Yoc.

My top 5 favorite Jazz basses...
    L to R --> "'69" Fender Jazz , "'77" Fender Jazz , "'61" Fender Jazz , "'62" Fender Jazz Roadworn , G&L JB-2
    iv4Jz8j.

12. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I finally cleaned up my office enough to actually see what I have.
    Fender 50th. Anniv. J, Fender Nate Mendell, Home made late 50's heavy relic P, Fender Mustang PJ (heavily modded), 2x Brubacker Brute (one heavily modded) (the other one was free cause one arrived in such dreadful shape), Schecter Diamond series fretless Jazz, G&L L-1500, Epiphone Allen Woody, Epiphone vintage Thunderbird, G&L Legacy, Pushic single cut (nifty LED's) Tobias Standard 6, Spector Rebop.
    Out of picture- Modulus Quantum 4, Ric 4003s.
    For you skinny stringers- '56 Tom Murphy Les Paul, Gretsch Round Up, PRS semi hollow, Les Paul Special, 1967 ES 330, Fender B-Bender tele, Gretsch Duo-jet.

DSC_0002 (8).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Marc DLarosa likes this.
  13. I have 3. Considering a 4th but think it may be excessive.

I also have two amps, considering cutting it down to 1 :D