1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOPA / Protect IP - Getting out the word

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Toastfuzz, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey TBers. This is uncustomary of me, and probably against forum policy, but I feel its extremely relevant to the TB community as well as any internet-using peon out there.

If you haven't heard about the Stop Online Piracy Act or its Senate-sister the Protect IP act, now is the time to learn.

These bills are currently being pushed through Congress and the Senate 100% by the media content industry. The ends is to stop piracy... the means is to grant content providers an express pass to the Department of Justice to have websites TAKEN DOWN OFF THE INTERNET with no due process or proof, under the accusation of infringing content. All a content provider has to do is file an ACCUSATION against a website and it can have its URL address blocked and any ad revenue or payment processing stopped IMMEDIATELY. This also covers "facilitators" of copyright infringement, which can and has been interpretted by the courts to include LINKING to infringing content.

What this means for the average TB'er is that if you post a link to a YouTube video in a post, and Big Content deems that video to be infringing, it will not only be removed from YouTube but the link can be traced to TB and the entire TalkBass.com can be blocked from all access, just for one infringing post. Also, any payment processor that generates TB ad revenue or processes membership fees would have their funds frozen and transactions halted. The accused website now has the burden of PROVING their innocence through expensive litigation and time consuming BS, all the while not making revenue.

What sucks is that this bill actually has more support in Congress than it does opposition. It goes to show how corrupt the system really is; hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent in lobbying and "contributions" to push these bills through. The only opposition is the citizens of America who appreciate an open, free internet and the opportunities and wealth of information it provides. Of course most people have no idea what SOPA or PIPA even is, and aren't techy nerds who understand the implications and slippery slope these bills provide the industry to control the web. If Big Content can't figure out how to profit in the 21st century (no more VHS tapes?? What???) thats not our burden to bear, and we shouldn't have to suffer a censored internet just because they have more lobbying $$$ than your average citizen does.

Check out the link below for more information and details on what you can do. I hope the Mods dont delete this for being a political thread, I posted in Misc. to get it on the front page intentionally because these bills have alot of potential to take TalkBass right off the web. You know Rickenbacker hates seeing old Ibanez lawsuit basses being traded around our classifieds... with these bills they'd be given a method of slapping them down, but they'd bring all of TB down with it.

Protesting SOPA: how to make your voice heard - ArsTechnica

2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Important stuff, people. All it takes is a phone call or a sign of a petition.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Yeah these are getting closed because of the political content. The bill is so obtuse (as stated above) that a user on TB could post a link to a website with copyrighted material in a thread and they COULD shut down TB with a simple complaint from an online form. I like the idea of stopping piracy, but it's just too vague.

4. absolutely agree. It's hard to imagine just how vast the internet is, yet these proposals will grant the "power that be" the authority to limit literally anything they want, simply because a content provider feels there -may- be copyright violation occuring. no due process. oh, and the people slotted to handle the appeals process are the same people who issue the declarations of action when the bill's authority is invoked. make sense? no, it doesn't...

5. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I've noticed that Google search and others are protesting it today by blocking out page content or not working at all. I guess to show us how it would be under the new bill? I have only just heard of this bill recently. Glad to have found this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.