1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sore arm muscle - is it from playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sync00, Apr 11, 2006.

1. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I started playing bass a few months ago and soon after I got sore muscles in the upper outside left arm (I'm right-handed). It kept geting worse and now it is so bad I can't play.

I'm not sure if the problem was created from playing or something else though. I've read various threads about problems people have developed from playing and I don't recall reading about anyone having a problem in this area.

2. Give your arm a rest before it is to late.
    Take a week or two off from playing and then check your playing style.

i.e. are you pressing harder than you need to?
    are you trying to burn two octave runs without warming up?
    is you bass hangin to low?

3. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    yes thats a bad sign.....stretch your fingers back before and while playing. and ditto with the bass hanging too low. if its too low you sometimes have to strain your wrists and fingers to hit a note.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

To be serious - there is no way anybody here can tell - unless they have actually seen you play and can see if you're going wrong.

You need to physically be in the same space as either a physiotherapist or a good bass teacher...

Anything anybody else says here, is at best just a guess!! :meh:

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Give it rest, hot compresses and see a docter.

6. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I think the bass may actually have been too high. I was using a book where all the beginning exercises are on the first three frets. It was really awkward and may have been too much off a stretch. Right now I can move that arm in every direction except up.

I've seen quite a few people with muscle problems who went to the doctor and the problem only got worse. They eventually had to have surgery which did not improve the situation either.

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    sounds like some form of tendinitis. i've suffered from it when i was powerlifting, but never from bassplaying.

you should see a doctor, and also do some stretching when you warm up. its very important to stretch.

8. +1

Be wary of any medical diagnosis on a bass player website. The best I can suggest is you see a physio. I was telling Vorago earlier that sometimes aches in the arms can be associated with shoulder strains, but without seeing you and your range of motion etc, I would be hesitant to suggest any causes at all.

Good luck

9. Go to a doctor to check that everything is OK ,and then go to a proper bass teacher than can teach you proper technique.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Left arm? Could be a sign of heart problems ... or maybe cancer. Most likely poor technique, though. But then again, you just never know now, do you.