1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sore Elbow?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Edb, May 2, 2010.

1. Edb

Edb

Feb 13, 2010
    St. Louis
    When I play for long periods of time, the elbow on my fretting arm gets very sore.

If you bend your arm and follow the crease straight out to right before the area that feels like bone, that's where it hurts.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it go away with time? Am I doing something wrong?

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    This my friend is the onset of tendinitis, or commonly referred to as tennis elbow. Do yourself a favor and do some research. Correct the cause and do some preventative measures before it worsens.

3. yikes! scary stuff - get to a doc!!

4. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    First of all: see a doctor and a fysiotherapist. Take breaks from playing to relax your arm.

A small checklist for that research (to be expanded by others, I hope):
    1. Is your bass well balanced (or does the neck dive if you let go of it)?
    2. Is your bass strapped to the correct angle (of 30-45 degrees)?
    3. Is your bass strapped high enough to play with your wrist almost straight (but relaxed)?
    4. Do you play with your left thumb pointing to the ceiling?
    5. Are shoulder and upper arm relaxed (or pressing against the side of your body)?

5. I'd definitely be taking preventative measures now.

I had the ol tennis elbow within the past couple years where picking up something as light as a cup saucer (or a even a pen at the wrong angle) felt like someone was driving a icepick into the joint. It may seem exaggerated...but it's not. :(

It sucked badly, and took a while to heal.

6. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    One of my many aches and pains, all of which now are held in check. A word of advice I got from my Chiropractor (mainstream) and orthopedist is never grocery shop with a basket. Your arm is held at an odd angle putting stress on the elbow. See it may or may not have even been bass playing that caused it.

7. Edb

Edb

Feb 13, 2010
    St. Louis
    Thanks for the info and advice, guys. I will definitely do some research, rest the arm and see a doc if it continues or gets worse.