Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sore Fingers!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SUNBURST, Sep 22, 2002.

1. SUNBURST

SUNBURST

Sep 14, 2002
    Ready to start playing again after a 20 year vacation. All I can remember is how sore my fingers got after a while. Multiple coats of new-skin helped but not much. Ive seen a product out called Tone Finger Ease it comes in an aerosal can and is sprayed on the strings and is supposed to minimize this. Has anyone tried this? Also would like to know the best strap to get for a Fender Jazz Bass as they are a little on the heavy side.:p :p

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    put a little super glue on your fingertips. Instant callous. Worked great for me until I got the natural callouses I needed.

3. dog boy

dog boy

Aug 24, 2002
    australia
    welcome back mate, 20 years is a long time to go with out playing, i know i couldn't do it.
    i wouldn't bother with the aerosal spray just work hard and get your calsis's back.

cheers dog boy

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    finger ease works to an extent.. i used to use it.. but the only real solution is building up those callouses.. and that comes with practice..

Welcome back. good to see you finally came back to your senses :D

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Finger Ease helps me; I like it.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    wrong forum.

Moved to Misc.

7. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    Tulsa,OK.
    Welcome back! I'm just coming back from a 24yr. vacation myself.(had to sell all my gear when I got married the first time. Boy how stupid!!) I just used finger ease for the first time the other day and I didn't really notice a difference. I have a friend who says "ghs fast fret" is a good product but I didn"t feel much of a difference with that also. keep in touch it will be interesting to see how we do after our lay-off. good luck finding a band. i'm not having much luck

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would say just grin and bear it for a while until your fingers get used to it. Using any froo froo super glue will just prolong the process of gaining your natural calluses, which is what you're going for. A few weeks of sore typing is worth it for a lifetime of painless bass playing. Even after a while your fingers won't be as callused as they will be just plain 'ol tough.

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah! Remember, pain is just weakness leaving your body.

;)

Welcome back to bass playing and of course, welcome to TalkBass!

10. just take everyone elses advice on the fingers, and on the strap, i haven't used very many, but my D'Addario strap holds up my 6string no problem, withouth strap locks. i never take the strap off the bass either, so that might help a little.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Perhaps, you could switch to flatwound strings, they won't prevent your fingers getting sore but they don't rub the skin as roundwounds do.

On the strap issue, wide and padded straps work wonders. The best strap out there might be something called Comfort Strapp, but if you can't find them nearby, any 3" wide strap should work. Also, you'll be wanting to get straplocks too.

12. SUNBURST

SUNBURST

Sep 14, 2002
    Thanks all for the replys, sorry that I posted in the wrong forum. I agree with you, its just a matter of plunking away until the fingers get settled. Have a new J Bass coming in but I sure do miss my 70s J Bass. I guess we all make decisions that we regret, this was one of them, anyway thanks and its good to be back.:p

13. Welcome back to bass! Damn, I know I couldn't go 20 years without playing.

I kinda know what you mean. I was surprised the other day when my wife picked up my P bass and started plucking on it! So I grabbed my Jazz and showed her a few simple lines. :)

Afterwards she was complaining about her fingers hurting, and I told her she needed to build up callouses and finger strength. I figured she wouldn't pick up the bass again, but I walked in on her today practicing the lines I taught her. I'm so proud! :D

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, but toughing it out and building callouses is the best way to go.