1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sore thumb w/Strange Ways @ George's Pub at the Northern Motor Inn

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Sore Thumb, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Welcome to my humble attempt at a gig report. We were booked to play George's Pub at the Northern Motor Inn in Terrace, BC. It was my first time playing this venue, but the guys had played there before. They had a great show but had a very bad experience with past management. We have also tried playing here a couple of times in the past couple of years, but a surgery happened so we ended up cancelling, then there was a death in the family, so we cancelled that one too. The other guys in the band almost feel like there's a bit of a curse on our attempts to play here. I like to think it's our nemesis gig.
    Booking a gig for December in our area of the world means you never know what the weather and roads will be like. Fortunately we had a beautiful clear and crisp weekend for the 65km drive .
    IMG-20181202-WA0007.
    IMG-20181202-WA0004.
    My wife and a friend came out with me. We got to Terrace and found our name in lights. IMG-20181202-WA0003.
    Found a decent stage with lights, 2 feet high or so with a pull out section that made for enough room for all of us. We started the set up dance. 20181201_143910.
    We set up and sound checked in good time.
    20181201_170824.
    And then checked in to the provided room at the hotel. We met up with my wife at the hotel. They were Christmas shopping while we were setting up and sound checking. I mentioned that I needed to pick up some picks before the show. She tells me "there's no room in the truck." I say "picks, guitar picks" she says "yeah, I know what they are." I double checked before leaving and she was pulling my leg, the box was still empty, only the back seat was full.
    My rig for the night. 20181201_210106.
    The night's set list.
    20181202_111040.
    The wives and friends that came out with us.
    IMG_8247.
    The night started off a bit slow but you could see lots of heads bopping and see people singing along. Just not a lot of dancers. We did have an issue with Garry's guitar cutting out in the monitors. It was difficult, a couple of songs I could tell we were losing each other. It took a quick reset of the board, and then things started to come together. We found out that people don't really show up until 11:00 at this bar.
    IMG-20181202-WA0005.
    2nd set started and things were hopping. The dance floor was full and people were having fun. We were in the groove and enjoying the moment. The vibe was great. Lisa from the pub came up. We thought she was gonna make us a do a little announcement about the shuttle bus they have or drinking and driving. The announcement was worse. They had to shutdown because the whole place's sewage had backed up. Bathrooms were flooded. So we ended up calling it a night at midnight. On our way up to our hotel room we were told not to use the toilets or shower. So we ended up getting a room at the holiday inn across the road.
    Finished the night sharing a bottle of fine Japanese whisky. We were quite disappointed with how it all went, but what can you do.
    20181202_104415.
    Packed up in the morning, the hotel owner, manager and bar manager all came up apologized and all were very appreciative of what we offered and are hoping to book us in the new year. Hopefully we'll break the curse then.
    IMG_8248.
    Quick 45 minute drive in the beautiful sunshine. Next gig is at the end of January.
    Hope you enjoyed the story. I love reading and seeing everyone's stories as well.

Mr_Moo, dbase, Admiral Akbar and 28 others like this.
  2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey Andrew. Excellent report. Nice descriptive narrative of a band working hard to overcome the jinx of a club. Even though an issue did arise and your playing time was cut short, you got the place jumpin'. Maybe it will take a couple of gigs to banish the curse. Once conquered, the place may become a favorite haunt. :thumbsup:

Mr_Moo, dbase, HolmeBass and 2 others like this.
  3. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    That sounds like a tough place to play. You'll beat it. Nice report. :thumbsup:

dbase and Sore Thumb like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @Sore Thumb,

Thanks for taking us along on the adventure. That room seems like a tough nut to crack. Let's hope everything goes your way next time you're there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Very Cool! Nice report. (Good lookin' ladies, as well!). Thanks for posting, and good luck with future gigs. By the way, what's the Fender head for?

6. Sounds like you traded one curse for another. But you got to play and the management was aware you were not the cause of any issues, so you'll get another gig. That's a win.

Thanks for the report!

7. Thanks Grant for the kind words. We're going to try for the spring. See if we can get a full gig there, with no major issues.

McG likes this.
  8. Thank you for your comments. Judging by the comments we received from patrons and staff we had the room. We just didn't have the toilets

Bunk McNulty and BassCliff like this.
  9. Thanks for reading. I quite enjoy doing up the gig report. I realize that I have a ways to go to meet the standard that BassCliff has set. The fender set up is Paul's (rhythm guitar & vocals) I run the tc electronics rig.
    I agree the ladies are very good looking, especially the one that goes home with me at the end of the night.

10. You're welcome. It's a pleasure to share my corner of the globe with you. Management was still happy with us and paid us in full. A bartender was overheard saying "thank God for something new." We'll be back and we'll rock their socks off.

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  11. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Sounds like a good gig, but with a crappy ending. Poop happens!

12. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    I love the setlist! Shame you didn't get all the way through it. Guess it's the living proof that "s**t happens". Thing that strikes me, what a great trip out and back! Our gigs here in the UK are more like 45 mins battling through traffic to get 5 miles to a crappy little venue, not a moose in sight. Don't think I'm ready to emigrate just yet but I can definitely feel the itch! Keep on rockin!

Sore Thumb likes this.
  13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Ah, Feces Occurs. You guys have the coolest logo. The 11 pm thing is a sensitive spot: For a year, our crowd complained that 9:00-9:30 was too late for them. So we talked to the clubs, and started hitting at 8 pm. And nobody showed up until 10-11 pm anyway. So now we're talking about switching back...pain in the butt. Glad you at least got some quality audience time before the fecal matter hit the rotating blade.

And I'm thinkin' Fox On The Run would be a good set list addition.:D

Sore Thumb likes this.
  14. In the woods where I live there are a few foxes as well as some does. They mostly just mind their own business. I'd say the colonies are worth a visit if that's your deal ;)

Sore Thumb likes this.
  15. Pretty much. There were many poop related puns flying around that night.

16. We were pretty excited to try a few new to us songs. We had to shut it down at Rebel Yell. We begged for them to let us play another one while people finished their drink, so we typically close with Paradise City. Then the crowd called for one more and Terrace loves their AC-DC.
    I am spoiled traffic wise. A traffic jam is more than 3 cars at the stoplight. And on a sunny day there's no prettier place to be . Thanks for spending your time on my little story.

17. I understand the frustration with downbeat times. They start charging the cover at 9:00 so we assumed that they'd want us to start somewhere close to that. We walk in and start talking to the staff and we're told not to waste our energy and be ready for 10 or so. We loaded up our set list to accommodate our allotted time. I prefe to take songs out than to add on the fly. I like to at least pretend to be prepared.
    We were excited to do Fox on the Run. Garry (lead guitar) heard it played at a wedding this summer and people were dancing to it. We thought we'd give it a try. Thanks for the kind words regarding the logo. It's amazing what people can do with some graphic design software. I'll pass it on to the guys.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  18. My corner of the colony is always welcoming to guests. Although I think you live closer to @Robscott than I live to you.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    So, where is Kitimat, BC ?

20. Kitimat is roughly 650km north of Vancouver. Smack dab in the middle of nowhere. But it's pretty...when it's sunny.

MrLenny1 likes this.