Sore Thumb w/Strange Ways @ The Bistro 04/05/19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Sore Thumb, May 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Saturday, May 4th, my band Strange Ways played one of our regular places and one our favourites. It was a beautiful spring day and we started loading up around 11:00.
    IMG_20190504_115336.jpg
    Paul's wife was arriving at the airport so we started with out him. It goes pretty quick.
    We all live within a couple of blocks of each other and the Bistro is only a 5 minute drive down the hill to the venue.
    IMG_20190504_122617.jpg
    This what it looks like before we start the set up dance.
    IMG_20190504_122634.jpg
    This is a super easy load in. I took this picture from the doorway. Less than 10 steps from the trailer to the "stage".
    IMG_20190504_122654.jpg
    IMG_20190504_122702.jpg
    Some Bistro info. I can't say how grateful we are for the Bistro and their owners. They've almost single handedly willed a music scene in our little town. Just about every Saturday night there is a live band, and will bring whatever style or genre they can find in. I was talking with the owner of the main pub in town a while back,and she says she can't compete with the Bistro on a Saturday night. She looks for people that want to continue to party after the Bistro closes.
    IMG_20190504_141606.jpg
    Garry getting us mixed and dialed in.
    IMG_20190504_143122.jpg
    My area for the night. The monitor was more for stage delineation as we've found that without, we get people a bit too close. Stepping on cables, bumping into mic stands, etc. Paul likes his teeth, and really doesn't enjoy getting his mic bumped into him while singing.
    IMG_20190505_124434.jpg
    The night's set list. We play until 12:00 and usually start around 8:30. We have to really watch our time and our breaks. We did drop Girls, Girls, Girls. We haven't been playing it that great lately, and it's tough on Paul's voice, but mostly it was due to time constraints. We did get a number of compliments on the diversity of our set list. We are always trying to add songs that are well known but not over done, but at the same time keeping some of the standards.
    IMG_20190505_005159.jpg
    I played my Warwick Thumb 5 this night. It was sounding great! I usually play my Bacchus WL535 Jazz, but I wasn't feeling it during sound check. I should've done a sound check with the Thumb as it's active and the Jazz is passive. It took a couple of songs to dial it in, but once I got it I was loving the Warwick growl.
    Went home between set up and gig time and tried to get some rest. I ended up mostly doing chores around the house. Since it was Star Wars day, my kids insisted that I make our traditional May 4th dinner for them. Obi Wan Perogies with Ham Solo, and Life Savers for dessert. Sorry no pics of their dinner.
    IMG_20190504_190827.jpg
    Pete and I went down for dinner early. I had a Bacon Bleu Burger with the Broken Arrow beer from Bulkley Valley brewing. The burger was delicious, and the beer was refreshing. It reminded me of Hoegaarden. Pete had a Chicken Caesar salad with a Sherwood Mountain Friar House Lager.
    Resized_20190504_223847_7261.jpeg
    IMG_20190504_230656.jpg IMG_20190504_224421.jpg
    IMG_20190504_224431.jpg
    The crowd was enthusiastic and into it all night. At times we had dancers but the whole night we had people singing along. We had a number of people tell us that it was best they've heard us, that we've really tightened up and cleaned up our sound. I'll take it as a genuine compliment and not them saying that we weren't very good before. But some gigs go better than others . This was one of the good ones. Of course there were clams but nothing that anyone other than a real discerning musician would pick up, and we try to make our covers our own. Every song we play has a Strange Ways flavour to it.

The only downfall of the whole night was seeing a couple of people (who we know fairly well) obnoxiously drunk and behaving in what i would consider inappropriately with people who weren't their spouses. I understand that it happens, but because it's a small town you know most people everywhere you go, and I don't like to see it. I don't mind seeing people be a little silly while drunk, or even pretty stupid, but it's awkward to see someone around town, work, school etc. after seeing them in those situations. I didn't see the worst of it first hand but I'm sure the local rumour mill will be working overtime.

My wish is for all of you to get treated as well as we do at the Bistro. We love playing there, the atmosphere is that of a house party. You feel like you're being hosted, more than being hired. Great energy and great vibe. Next up for us is the His 'n' Hers tournament at our local golf course June 1st.

Thanks for allowing me to share what's happening in my corner of the Great White North. I look forward to everyone else's gig reports.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

hey --- great report! it sure looks like the fun you describe. it's cool when you and your band are treated well. glad you had a good gig and some good fun. thanks for sharing your gig experience! :thumbsup:

Hyball27, Bunk McNulty, dbase and 3 others like this.
  3. Thanks. It was a blast. It's not too often that the owner brings out pizza, wings and beer for the band during the last song.

4. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Looks like a great place to play, nice the owners obviously appreciated you guys.

I need to get back up to your area sometime it's beautiful country up there.

Spidey2112 and Sore Thumb like this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @Sore Thumb!

Super great! I love paying to a packed house. It can get cozy with folks right up to the stage but the close interaction is a blast. Your crowd looked really fun. Thanks for all the pictures and the set list. We play a few of those but, you know, country. ;)

Your Warwick looks great. I love natural wood finishes where you can see the grain.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

HolmeBass, dbase, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  6. Thanks. It really is one of the prettiest places on earth. Especially when it's sunny. If you make it up here let me know.

7. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Nice - Sweet Caroline right into Crazy Train. :bassist:

5StringBlues, Mr_Moo and Sore Thumb like this.
  8. Thanks Cliff for your kind words. We sold out the place the two previous times before but we were going against a sold out wine and scotch tasting event. It was still pretty full.
    I like the natural finishes too. I hadn't played the Warwick out for quite a while as I like how it sounds better with my practice amp at home. So it tended to stay at home ready to pick up with ease.

BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  9. Thanks. I know it sounds odd. But it worked.

mikewalker and oldrocker like this.
  10. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

I like it, good change of pace.

dbase and Sore Thumb like this.
  11. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent report, @Sore Thumb!

You checked all the necessary boxes, and it looks like it was a great gig. I like your setlist as well!

12. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Great reporting! Good to hear about successful gigs. Yeah, the demon alcohol can make people do crazy things. So I’ve heard.

nixdad, BassCliff, dbase and 2 others like this.
  13. Thanks. It was a ton of fun. I was on a bit of a high for a few days after for sure.
    I always feel like I missed some photos or a funny story or something. I need to practice to meet the standard that Cliff has set for us.

BassCliff, dbase and nixdad like this.
  14. Thank you so much. Yes, alcohol can make people do some crazy things. And we get hired to sell it...at least indirectly.

Inky13 and dbase like this.
  15. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Excellent gig. You are so fortunate to have venue owners like the bistro's. Heartening when people actively support live music. :)

nixdad, BassCliff, dbase and 2 others like this.
  16. Thanks Grant. I am very fortunate that the majority of venues treat us pretty well. But Tim and Deb and their family and staff go above and beyond. Our town has always had some talented people, but now with a venue that is active in supporting live music, bands are coming out of the woodwork. It's fun, and other places are starting to think that maybe a live band isn't a bad idea.

nixdad, McG, dbase and 1 other person like this.
  17. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Good food, good beer, good gig. I've always liked my trips to Canada. The folks are always friendly. :thumbsup:

McG, dbase and Sore Thumb like this.
  18. It's the truth. We usually only get unpleasant when it comes to hockey.

BassCliff, McG and G19Tony like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Excellent report, @Sore Thumb!

I wasn't sure if 'Fight' was your last song, or if it was the audience participation part of the set.

Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  20. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice gig report .. rig, food and all... another plus .. I see Setlist Helper on the tablet. I use that myself, nice.. thanks for posting. ;)

Sore Thumb likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021