Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sore thumb!

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by ravelleneil, Jun 4, 2003.

1. heya

i was wondering if anybody gets a sore thumb on the neck hand when they play for long.
    it happens to me alot, will i get used to it?

n

2. Probably caused by squeezing the neck too much. Read the thread on gripping the neck. There is some good advice there.

3. hmmm, are you talking about the side of you thumb knuckle, as in the playing surface? If so, you'll build up a callous pretty quickly, but it does get pretty sore. If you're talking about your thumb/ hand muscles, you might want to consider the position of the thumb on the back of the neck. I don't think there is really any "right" way to do it, but try arching your thumb either more or less, and also try moving it closer to or further from being directly behind whichever finger is pressing the string. Most likely though it will strengthen up on it's own and stop hurting. Just be sure to stretch it out often so It won't cramp up or anything... :oops:

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    When I stopped resting the bass on my left hand thumb I stopped having the pain I think you're describing.

5. Do you have a teacher? He would be the best person to ask because he can see you playing. But it seems like you need to relax your left hand and use the weight of your arm to stop the strings. It takes a LONG time to get (read my post on gripping the neck), but when it becomes ingrained it's worth it.

6. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    my thumb only gets sore when im doing my strangth, and speed "work outs", it mostly happens on the speed work out.

i just relax my thumb and it gos away, but i would whatch(cs)out if that happens to often then your making you wrist do the work rather then your forarm, big cos of CTS... not to worry you

7. wow, thanx alot guys!

i'm its just a bad habit that i need to get out of, so when i raise my elbow a little it feels ok cos a little bit of pressure is taken off the thumb,

thanx again!

n:D