Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

soreness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sk8boarder317, Apr 2, 2003.

1. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    ive been playing bass for about a year (not long i know) but ive recently my wrist has been getting sore when im standing up...im just wondering if theres something that im doing wrong in my form of my arm/wrist/hand? id just like some feedback on how some other people do it

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I think that more info is needed, Is it your fretting hand? how high do you wear your bass? ect....

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Basically- if something is hurting, your doing something wrong. This is what my teacher has always told me- he didn't realize this when he was young and ended up with tendonitis. I'm pretty sure he's talking about hsi fretting hand. The simplest solution to that problem is usually just to raise your base up and tilt the neck up a bit so ya don't ahve to bend your wrist a lot.:)

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    True Dat. 5 String is right on. Make sure that the bass is at a comfortable level when strapped on (should be about the same level as when you sit with it). Having your bass at the proper height is essential for comfort. Also make sure that your thumb is resting behind the neck, your index and thumb should form a "U" when you hold the neck.

If your picking hand is hurting, then bass height could be the issue or you picking technique. We'll need more info on your picking style if that's the wrist that hurts.

5. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    yes it is my fretting hand..the height could be the problem because when im sitting down it doesnt hurt...ill try raising it up abit...

one more thing..do u keep your elbow in or do u move it with your fretting hand (keep it out)

6. remember to warm up & down before and after playing by stretching and playing scales, building up speed, then slowing down!!!

:cool:

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Keep your elbow in. That will help your thumb stay behine the neck, and keep your hand in better position to hit the frets. But it is natural for you elbow to move a little as you go up and down the fretboard. Your shoulders should be relaxed, and not raised or hunched.

Keep in mind that I don't know your build or height, or the way your hand is shaped, or the kind of bass that you use. These are guidelines, not necessarily steadfast rules.

8. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Also don't grip the neck with your thumb use it as a guide, and put as little pressure as possable on it.