Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sorry about this

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miccheck1516, May 23, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    ok ive decided im going to work my ass off this summer now that im leaving school in a few weeks.
    Im going to buy myself an avatar 410 cab as well as a 115, this is all going to be powered by a carvin r600 head.
    The cnahces are i will probobly end up gettin the 410 and teh carvin around the same time, and then wait and get the 115. so, i went to the carvin site and checked out the online manual and got the following with regard to the r600

Output Power

8 Ohms 175w
    4 Ohms 250w
    2 Ohms 300w
    4 Ohms Bridged 500w
    8 Ohms Bridged 600w

so does 4 Ohms bridged mean, two 4 Ohm speakers together, or is it Two 8 Ohm speakers (i think) in series. Basically i want to know is what would be the best impendance for me to get in order to get the maximum power out of my amp.

When the manual says bridged is that two speakers being run from one jack in series, or are there two jacks in the amp, god i wish i wasnt so goddamn stupid :'(

ohh i no how to add a pic, this is from the manual

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Two 8 ohm speakers together.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    damn im gonna be playing at 175 w for a month or so, then ill be at 600, god itll blow me away, anyone any idea of cheaper 8 Ohm cabs than the avatar 115? mabye some sort of 112???? ill prob end up gettin a used one

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Trade your ass for Carvin? Respect your ass and get something a notch up.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No biggie about the 175. I did death metal against 6x12s with 150 and did respectable. I wouldn't worry.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I don't know how many speaker output jacks the amp has.

Most modern speaker cabs have two (or more) connectors on the back that will allow you to chain (paralleled) another cab.

4 ohm bridged refers to the total impedence of whatever you have connected, whether it is one 4 ohm cab, two 8 ohm cabs connected in parallel, or four 16 ohm cabs connected in parallel.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Suggestion: save a few more $$ and get the R1000. It isn't that much more. Disregard Munji and his Eden-o-philia. Speaking as someone who's owned both Eden and Carvin, the Carvin is a very good head. ;) Second, re speakers, I think you'd have a hard time finding something cheaper than the Avatars that's as good or better.;)

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Goin' on 5 years with my Carvin R600... there's a little button on the back of the head that says 'Bridge'... when pressed, it combines the two power amps... when used in conjunction with the 'Bridge' speaker jacks, you can pump 500 watts into an 8 ohm load, in your case, a single 8 ohm cab... I run mine like this pretty much all the time... If you do get the carvin, do yourself a favor and spend much time with the manual. Some folks find 'em confusing, but they're pretty bone simple if you take the time to read up first...

-robert

9. "Eden: Respect yourself in the morning."

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    LOL.

11. Just get an 8ohm 4-10 Avatar to start.The Carvin R 600 will put 500 watts into it bridged and this will work great.If you need more low end then add the 8 ohm 115 Avatar and then you'll get 600 watts into the pair.If this isn't enough volume then you may need the R 1000(this is what I use).If you can afford it the R 1000 is nice but the R 600 will do for most situations.

12. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    eden: harboring fanboys worldwide :D ;)

13. Actually, I don't currently own any Eden gear. I just said that to get a rise out of Munji. :smug:

14. "Carvin: Wake up in the morning, not broke"

15. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    rllefebv and Blues bass 2, you guys are the fu*kin men!! knowing i can put 500w into one cab has made me, happy :D ill definately go for that.

With regard to the r1000, ive spoken to my guitarist, and he isnt planning on gettin a new amp soon, hes currently using a 100w hughes and kettner, if he does get a new amp in the future he says he wont get anything more than 250w. I figure the r600 would probobly be able to handle that with just a 410 but ill also have the 115 under neath. Again guys, thank you so much, you have cleared up a problem that has bothered me for so long.

Time to work my ass off

16. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Priceless!

And what RLindsay said.

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If at all possible, save another $90 and get the R1000. Headroom is never bad to have. You'll respect yourself in the morning. And you'll thank me.

A 250 W guitar amp is likely to be *killingly* loud if cranked. Tell your guitarist not to use more than 100 W unless he wants a quick kick in the cobblers.;)

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000

19. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Munjibunga

How about rather than just dissing carvin straight out u give me some reasons why carvin's are (in your opinion no good), for me they seem to be the best amp in my price bracket, and they deliver a great deal of power

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, I think Carvin makes beautiful, good sounding instruments worth every penny of their price. The workmanship is first-rate, on par with most high-end basses, and the woods they use are just beautiful.

With their amps and other electronics, you're getting what you pay for, but not the excellent value of their instruments. With both their instrument amps and PA equipment, they sound OK, but are somewhat lifeless to my ear. They tend to make up for their inadequacies in the sound department with a lot of gimmicky EQ and other stuff.

My point to you is that, if you're going to "work your ass off," you ought to spend your hard-earned cash on something that you won't want to unload a few months from now. For a few hundred extra bucks, you could buy the quality that you'll never want to sell.