Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sorry... another question about slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by J.S., Jun 28, 2002.

1. J.S.

J.S.

May 2, 2002
    I swear I did search the forum but I don't find one that answer my question...
    When I try to slap, beside the slap sound there will be this sharp 'tat' noise (not very loud but noticeable and VERY annoying :mad: ) that is produced by the string hitting on the fret. Is that normal or I just need more practice...
    Also if it's not normal, is there any tips (beside keep on practicing) to eliminate the noise?
    Thanks

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You may be hearing the string hit a polepiece on the pickup. Fill out your profile.

If it is the string hitting the fret, you're hitting way too hard. You don't need to pummel your bass into submission, just bounce your thumb off the string. Your tone will improve, as well as your control, accuracy and speed.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Isn't the slap tone created by having the strings hitting the frets? Or is it only pops?

4. I'm pretty sure the slap tone is created by the strings hitting the frets as well. I think Pacman is just trying to say that if JS is slapping so hard that he's getting the sharp noise discussed, then a lighter touch would be in order.

I, for one, second the the polepiece theory if indeed the bass in question does have exposed polepieces. I know I've gotten a sound that I would describe as a "tat" from my G&L when I accidentally smacked a polepiece.

5. J.S.

J.S.

May 2, 2002
    It can't be my pick-up, it isn't setup that high, and I slap on the end of the fingerboard, not on the pickup. (BTW it's a MIM P-bass I'm using)

Let me add that this 'Tat' noise happen much more often when I fret the string, i.e. it seldom occurs when I were slapping on the open string.

Can it be my action is too low? (but there ain't any fret buzz when I pick...)

Okay, I trying to make it clear, when I slap, it generate 2 sound, a 'hum' and a metallic 'tat' sound (which I'm pretty sure is cause by the string hitting the fret)

Maybe I was just slapping too hard, or maybe I'm doing it all wrong...

:(

Thanks for the replys anyway