1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sorry - another string id request

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jallenbass, Aug 24, 2012.

1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I just bought a bass that has what appears to be SS rounds with red silks on both ends and steel ball ends. Pictures that I have seen in my searches show brass ball ends like the Rotosound RS66s. Any ideas? I'm not a big fan of rounds but I really like these on this bass. I bought it at a pawn shop so there's no history to draw upon. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see them.

2. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I was thinking they could maybe be GHS Bass Boomers, which have red silks at the tuners. But they have no silk at the bridge.

I'm inclined to think what you have are stainless steel Rotosound Swingbass 66 strings.

3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Pics might help, but from a sheer probability standpoint, Rotos are what they are.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    They might also be Thomastiks or Infelds. Some of their flatwound sets have red silk at both ends with brass ball ends.

Do they feel floppy or tight? If they feel tight, jasper is probably more on target.

5. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    +1 on the Roto's.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Definitely not floppy. Roto's sounds about right.