Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sorry bout this, but, have 4x10, want added cab, more power, 4x10 or 15? PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 15, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I know i know, it's been done to death, but i searched, and ME personaly, couldnt find anything with what i needed to know. so here it is. i have this old 350 watt crate, i have this old, 4x10 cab, it's an 8ohm, so my amp is only running at say,,, 200 watts. I want more power out of this baby, and thought about adding a 15. Would their be enough power to send to that thing for it's full benifit? I wasent really a big fan of 15's, but i heard one the other day that was TIGHT. not big and floppy. but it had the lower range i wanted. my question is, just get another 4x10 cabnit, or put a 15 underneath? i love 4x10's, and would get another one, if i wouldnt be sending enough power to the 15. I actully have some money to back this crap up, so i would like some feedback. Also, i am not a fan of HUGE lows, but like the way a 15 hits, but if i don't like huge lows i guess ishould go with 4x10?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The best answer is 'try it'. There are a lot of good 1x15s out there and a lot of poor 4x10s... and vice versa. If you're anywhere near a decently stocked store, I would suggest arranging to go along with your bass, your head and your 4x10 cab.

Try a few of the available options in your price range. If none of them make you really happy, try something outside your price range, go away and save up (or change one of the other compenents like the head).

It's hard to answer much better than that - if the head can support an extra cab, it will be louder by some degree... but the most important thing is how the proposed new cab matches your existing setup, your bass, your playing style and your preferences.

That's what I did when I needed more volume. I walked into the Bass Centre in London with an SWR WM12 and came out with an Ashdown Mag250 head and Ashdown ABM Mini 1x15 cab. Based on that trip, my ideal upgrade path, when I need more volume, is an ABM Mini 4x8.... but that's based on my experience of what fits with everything else about my gear and playing style.

Wulf

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks, guess i'm gonna hit that 15. Just wanted to know if i would be underpowering it. and if the loudness would really be that much louder.

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    It WILL make a big difference in tone & volume!

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thats really all i needed to hear! the money is going, going, GONE!

6. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    thats a tuff call. The quality of the cab is more important. Personaly I dig 410 cabs but I was at a concert where the bass player was using one 410 & one 115 and it sounded incredable. I'd say get a 115 but only if its a quality cab. Whichever you get adding another 8 ohn cab will give you a lot more volume working your head @ 4 ohms. good luck! Tony

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I added a 1 x 15 cab to my set up of AH 250 (Trace Elliot) and a Trace Cab - it was awesome!!!!

I've since upgraded again, and now have an AH500 Trace head, and the 4 x 10 with HF horn. TO me it gives me everything I want!