Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sorry, but I gotta vent about my job...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ok, as most of you know, I work for the SF Community College District. I am in charge of managing computer labs, helping students use programs, troubleshooting and whatnot. On ocasion, I even get to teach a class, which is pretty cool.

Anyway, There' an instructor I work with who, bless his heart, is in his early 60s and is terrified of computers. The administration has mandated that computers be part of the curriculum, which is why William (that's me) has a job. I manage the computer lab once a week while the instructor basially does paperwork.

Well, I happenned to have to miss that day last monday because of my sunday gig in L.A. No problem, I thought, These students have been doing the same thing for weeks, and between them and another lab guy, they'll get along ok.

Well, I found out today that the students basically had a free day to goof off. The other lab guy didn't know which program the class was using (mind you, he could have taken a minute to check, as there are only two) and the teacher, who wants to have as little to do with computers as possible, was no help. This does not bother me one bit.

What's creasing me to no end is the students. How can it be that in a roomful of people who have been performing the same task on a weekly basis for almost six weeks, there wasn't a single one that knew what to do?:meh: I work with low income students, some of which are on welfare or taking classes by court order (there's even a class for ex cons). Some students show up stoned (I've seen people smoking pot half a block away. I do not condemn the fact that they're smoking, but that they're doing it before school).

I get along fine with most students and have an excellent relationship witht he ones who are tere to learn, but the ones that goof off make me sad, especially when it's a roomful of people.

I have created a datbase for the instructor so he'll have names and passwords handy. One less excuse for goofing off.

I'm ok, really. I just expected better. Sorry about the length.

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    When the cat's away....

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Sorry about that man. The sad thing is that if these fellas won't help themselves, why should anyone else?

4. It doesn't bode well for their prospects of becoming valuable, self-starting, motivated employees someday.

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Dude, they're college students. What did you expect?

Getting mad a college students for being slack is like getting mad at my dog for digging in the yard -- it's their nature, it's what they do.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    let it out will :). it's a shame that these folks, when offered this opportunity, squander it like that.

7. Maybe it's been too long, but I don't ever remember doing that in college. High school maybe, but not college.

There was never any messing around like that at the University of Wisconsin! Well, maybe on the engineering end of campus, but over by the Memorial Union, nothing but work, work, work!

8. when i was in college it was no slack either. then again, that was in um, well, many years, lol. even weekends i brought home a back pack ofbooks and homework home. wow. well, ok, i did find time to party on the weekends though, :D . however, working with low income and all. well, most feel that they do not have a chance to make it. so they goof off and do whatever. i work with many kids who are dirt poor in the group home. the ones who get in trouble. and most times, they jsut feel, why change, i am going to just have to go back to where i got in trouble before. same place, same people, same parents, same trouble. why try. however, then you get the few who want to make it. and they do try. so concentrate on those you can help and who want help. they make up for so much more. and kids today will slack if given the chance. you know. neither teacher wanted to do their job, so why should the students, they must have thought that. :)

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Except we're not talking College kids here. We're talking people who are trying to get their high school equivalency (GED) who might be or have been on welfare and may or may not have a history of incarceration (This means they've served time at a penitentiary). I guess you could say they are "street smart"

And they're not all kids either. People under 18 don't qualify for the program. These are people who really need the free education they're getting but can't seem to appreciate it.

...unless I'm there to crack the whip.:meh:

10. dont EVER expect students to behave or do any work while your gone, its the worst thing you can do

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

LOL!!!!!!!

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    umm you sure you don't mean it the other way around? Like the engineers work all the time and the arts and crafts kids have three months to write a paper. At least that's the way it is here.

And if they've been doing the same thing for six weeks, they probably got sick of doing it and welcomed a day off. I know I was elated when they closed school last Monday for the first time in years, pushing one of my labs back a week. Don't take it personally, that's just the way students are.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

It's sad that they don't have a self driving incentive within them to do this, unless you are there to 'force' them to do it! You'd think given their backgrounds they'd maybe want to take this opportunity and make the most of it, get a leg up into society and improve themselves!

Sadly not everyone thinks like that, or has motivation enough to try to improve themselves. Nothing really you could do about that. But I can understand your frustration!

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I was speaking to someone who works in a similar situation. She doesn't have the computer problem but the class is full of identical cases the other side of the world to you.

Human nature is pretty standard (sweeping generalisation of course).