Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sorry, but... Sadowsky/Fodera/??????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well. I hate to say it. I think I'm going to be getting rid of my Bongo, or cut its play time substantially.

The more and more I keep playing bass, I'm realizing that I'm a 4-string player at heart. It's funny, because my first bass was a fiver; and I've owned few 4's.

So I'm in a bit of a "dilemma" in finding a new bass. I want to get something that works well in the mix with a band, but also something I can do soloing with.

I've "narrowed it down" to: Sadowsky or Fodera.

I've never played a Sadowsky; but they sound amazing enough for me to "take the plunge." The problem is, I have no way to access one without taking a pretty hefty road trip. Rochester, MN doesn't have a whole lot of options. The only thing that comes to mind is that my brother is graduating from college this year in Rochester, NY and I could maybe head up to NYC for a day or two.

Now. Fodera. I've played one, and it's been in my mind ever since. It was at Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI. I sat down with it for probably 1 1/2 - 2 hours. It was the first (and last) fodera I played. If I'm not mistaken, there's another Fodera dealer not too far from me (planetbass.com). So I could try a few out. I'd probably be looking more on the used market.

Right now I'm playing with our church's worship teams, jamming with my old band (which it's rumored might reunite :hyper: ), and am doing some freelance solo stuff as well.

I'll be going to college next year, and will be involved in a LOT of music stuff there. So I want something that I'll be comfortable with in every possible setting.

So far, I'm leaning towards Fodera. Mainly because I'm getting a Fender from a "wealthy benefactor"... or something like that, I'm still not entirely sure. I don't know all of the details (i.e. what model), which is why I'd be a little (but not very) hesitant regarding a Sadowsky.

By no means am I limiting myself to these two luthiers, they're simply on the top of my list right now.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well form rochester to NYC is down so youd be heading down, not up , but

Id go with sadowsky, Foderas dont really appeal to me, i think they are overpriced.

You arent considering any other brands?

3. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    ;)

4. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
  5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Poop. HMm
    welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Do you like MTDs or Elricks?

6. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm intruiged by both. I used to have a Tobias renegade bass. it was nice. I know, it's not exactly a MTD.

I'm planning on checking out some MTDs when I go to planet bass. Whenever that might be.

As far as elricks, never held/played/seen one in person.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Not sure what state MN was, but I was going to say that if you were from Rochester, NY you would be right by me.

Man, if I had the money (say, like 700-1000 extra bucks) I'd take the Bongo off your hands...:p

Have fun with whatever bass you buy though...

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    minnesota.

9. Fodera fodera fodera fodera.

A warning though: Rochester, NY (U of R I presume?) is around 6 hours from the city in good weather. And then you have to deal with city traffic. Just a thought.

If you have a shot at the Fodera, jump on it.
    Otherwise definitely consider the Sad's and F-bass.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How long a drive is it from Rochester, MN?

OK, it's 1,100 miles, about 16 hours driving time. That's a long day. I drove 1,100 miles on I-40 from Clarksville, Arkansas to Flagstaff, Arizona in 16 hours. That was with 5 stops, one for a full meal. A lot of miles were at 85 to 90 mph, though. I had to go that fast to stay out of the way of the trucks.

11. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, it's about a 16 hour drive from Roch., MN to Roch., NY. so I guess about 22 hours. That's driving the speed limit, of course :D . Or else, I guess I could fly. I personally wouldn't need any other reason than checking out some Sads, but my dad thinks otherwise :rollno: . :D

and, RIT is where my brother is graduating from.

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Probably a lot longer.

And I'm not at UofR, I live here,...and Its cold. :D

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmmm, I had no idea that Planet Bass was that close to me. And I was just in Monticello a couple weeks ago for our work X-mas party. Wish I would have known then. :(

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think Skjold is worth considering. His basses have gotten rave reviews and the prices are very reasonable. I hope to order that single pup model of his maybe in 2006. I hear his fretless basses are awesome. :bassist:

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Too me their are two kinds of basses in the world, the "showman's" and the "workingman's". The workingman basses follow the lineage of the Fender P-J and Musician, I include in this group the Laklands, Lulls, Sadowsky's among others. These are the basses you want if you play a wide variety of basses primarily as a sideman. The Second group is what I call the "showman's" I think Alembic started this family, and I include Fodera, Ken Smith, and MTD among others. If I was playing Jazz or a lot of solo stuff, I would probably chose a bass in this group. My feeling is the workingman's basses sound better in a group context where as the "showman's" basses blow you away soloed.

The Basses you are considering, Sadowsky and Fodora are certainly among the best in their respective classes, but they are totally different beast. I think it depends a lot on what you want to do with your talents, If you want to be the "on call sideman" and get a wide variety of work go for one of Rogers basses. If your working on a solo project and writing your on stuff for a new thing in fusion check out one of Vinnies, thats my two cents.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

+1, that's about as well as I have ever heard it put when describing varieties of high end bases. I will quibble a bit and say that in some types of music like Black Gospel, the Showman models like Ken Smith and MTD are very popular with sidemen (and women.)

17. Well! You said it!

Fodera's works very well for soloing stuff!

-Christian

18. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    American Guitar Boutique in St Paul carries Roscoe, Suhr, Warrior, and they had a really nice G&L 2500 the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. You may want to check them out. They had a couple of SWEET Roscoes there.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1, and the same with MTD and Jerzy Drozd. I feel that Sadowsky, Fodera, Skjold, MTD, Drozd are all right up there as far as quality, craftsmanship, tone, playability, etc. It all comes down to personal preference.

Tom.