Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(sorry...but): SVT II vs. SVT II Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by godspeed68, Dec 28, 2005.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, I'm pretty sure I've done my fair share of searching, but unless my eyes played tricks on me, I just haven't found what I'm lookin' for as far as comparrison of the II and the II Pro. Here is what I've picked up: 1. SVT II Pro has a tube protection circuitry problem, overheats and dies. 2. Pro has gain, drive, plus extra preamp tubes (if i remember correctly). 3. non-pro has volume and thats it....no gain or drive....hmmmm.....how do you (if at all) get a nasty o.d. out of the non-pro? As far as that is concerned, is the non-pro limited compared to the pro? Footswitchable eq on the non-pro? Honest opinions please, right now I can't afford to not like my choice!!!!! (I live by a dealer, but they do not, and will not stock that amp ($$$)) Any insight or opinion will help greatly, thanks.

tOm

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    the non pro has 7band graphic eq while the pro has nine

3. I dont know, but I am shure that when I GOT A MOWHAWK gets on he will fill you in.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.

1. Pretty sure that should say "had", not "has"

2. The SVT II has a footswitchable eq. you turn it up loud to get it to growl. Is The SVT II "limited" compared to the 2 pro? Not if you don't need the extra features that the 2 pro has. They are essentially the same amp, the 2 pro with more features than the II. But you'd need to decide for yourself which one you think sounds better & which features you personally need.

What other info are you looking for?

5. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Its the whole not having either to test that gets ya. I'm basically looking for people who have had experience w/either/both amps. Looking for insight on the reliability problems I hear so much about with the PRO. Extra features being the gain and drive mostly? Seems to me that you could get more out of the pro??? Things like this I'd like to know :) (terribly ryhme....this is why I'm in an instrumental band)

tOm

thanks guys.

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    How on earth has I Gotta Mohawk not found this thread yet :D.

7. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Well I hope he finds it fast, cause actually, one of the local shops has a used 400+ for $650....which brings a whole new set of questions to the table as well:

Is this amp worth that much cash?:

1. definitely used. I would say its in fair cosmetic condition. Road wear is really aparant, as well as dust.

2. Unit has been retubed. Preamp tubes are ehx, poweramp tubes are sovtek 6l6wxt+ from tube depot? I've always thought ehx's were good, but know nothing about that particular model of 6l6.

3. I'm not sure how old the unit is, although I saw the copyright 1982 on the back of it, and am not sure if all 400+'s have the 1982 copyright date on them.

4. Has definitely been in and out of racks for a while, as shown by wear on the rack holes.

I think I'll get it, and he's giving me a couple day return policy on it. I tested it in their shop with a 610HLF and own a 410HLF so I would suspect the sound to be pretty much the same. Maybe I could take some pictures and get your guy's opinion on it.

Otherwise, I Gotta Mohawk, let's hear whats up with the Ampegs, maybe you'll end up changin my mind. SVT II, SVT II Pro, or Bass 400+ guys and gals???

tOm

thanks.

8. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    Grab that Boogie ...for $650 and a return policy how can ya lose.
    You MIGHT just love that amp.
    Many owners do.
    I do.

9. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I noticed that the OD was pretty tight, except that my bass has been pissing me off lately, the E is dead today, and yesterday, and the day before. What kind of band do you play in? I'm just questioning if I even need that much power

tOm

10. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    I don't know what "OD was pretty tight" means...if you mean overdrive?
    crank up the input (vol 1 or vol 2) to around 7 or higher and you'll get an OD. If that's not what you meant, sorry...
    I play in a rock / alternative country band, and as far as how much power do you need...? That's up to you. I don't think 300 watts is too much, cuz headroom is always good, and a pretty decent price on an amp of that quality.
    I think you'd pay more for an ampeg in similar condition.
    It's up to you, I'm just saying, it's a good deal for a bass 400+.
    www.taylorharveyband.com

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I am not a fan of the 400+, but you might be & if its the only amp you are able to demo AND they will give you a few days return policy, why not try it? I would not buy an amp based only on the opinions of others - unless I was able to return it if I didnt like it.

12. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    Pretty much what I suggested as well. He's got 2 things in his favor:
    1. A lower than average price
    2. A return policy (hard to argue with that.)

OT for a second, 8mmOD, you're not a fan of Mesa, mind if I ask why? Just curious, as I am a fan of Mesa, GK, Ashdown, and Ampeg -all of them, wonder what it is about Mesa doesn't work for you? They each bring a little something different, and good, to me.

I would really like to see godspeed68 do a side-by-side-by-side with all 3 amps just to see what he thinks, without any outside influences. But that rarely happens, where someone is NOT influenced by what others say.

Keep me updated, godspeed. Good luck.

13. Oi!!!

Right, yeah, the SVT-2-Pro has more extra bits and bobs, but, it really doesnt sound anywhere near as nice and tubey, the ST II non pro just sounds a hell of alot better

There was a limited edition SVT-II- Pro that was out, only difference is it had an extra pre tube, dont know what sonic difference there was

But, if you can, compair the pro and non-pro, to me the non-pro just sounds a hell of alot better . . . and trust me, you can get that baby to growl, the real growl in tube amps is from the power tubes, so overdriving the pre isnt going to give you as nice a sound ;)

14. I couldnt resist anymore. . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its sooooo purteh too . . .

I said it doesnt sound as tubey . . . but i mean it doesnt have close to that vintage tubey sound that everyone (generalisation) loves :)

15. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I don't mind. I like the sound of a cranked SVT & I can't make a Mesa produce that sound.

16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Had a II Pro for maybe a year, great amp, no problems, pretty versatile, really nice warm overdrive. Cannot compare it to the non pro, maybe I would have preferred the non pro, maybe not, never heard. I'd get the 400+ at that price though. Especially since you can try it out and return it, that's priceless. As long as overdrive is not what you need; the 400+ has the best IMO clean sound, but it is not capable of good sounding overdrive. If you need overdrive in a big tube amp, you're pretty much limited to Ampeg, Sunn 300T/Fender 300, and various other harder to find amps.

17. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    So I decided to pick it up, I have until monday to bring it back, which to me, is pretty damn good. As far as where I've found a nice, nasty growl...w/passive vol 2. @ 6, master @ 7. What I did notice though, was that the low end was flabby on all notes other than my open E. I'm almost crediting this one to my bass right now, and my elrick has no strings on it right now (i can see you cringing, i know). So it's kind of hard for me to tell right now. I do notice that both the input jacks are very dirty.....might just need a good cleaning, maybe replacing. with ehx and sovtek tubes, I would say this amp is old enough to be outside of its warranty period, so taking it to a tech would be safe. I will say this, chords are ****ing amazing. Anyone else have flabbly lows?

tOm

18. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    "I don't mind. I like the sound of a cranked SVT & I can't make a Mesa produce that sound."

This is an honest question: I am curious as to why that is. Could it be the difference between 6 and 12 power tubes? Or what? It would seem to me, that in any case, in order to drive those power tubes to distortion you would have to be VERY loud.
    Is this true or not true?

"the 400+ has the best IMO clean sound, but it is not capable of good sounding overdrive."

Again...an honest curiosity...since I can get a nice overdrive with my mesa by turning up the volume (not master) to 7 or higher...can this statement be based on the same thing mentioned above with the power section? I have a feeling you mean power amp distortion and not preamp, correct?

"Anyone else have flabbly lows?"

Not at all...with my mesa. But I just retubed it. How about other Mesa users?

19. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    That's the only ****ty thing. I really don't know the history of this amp. I guess that statement could be phrased a little better - the flabbly lows. And actually, now that I rephrase it in my head, it's gotta be somethin' with my bass. Open D (E) gets you in the chest, but as you fret up, its gets closer to a fart, heh. Unless the front end (bass) is putting out more lows than the amp can handle (doubt it).

As this is the first all-tube amp I've ever had in my experimental posession, what are some tell-tale-time-to-retube signs?

Does anyone know about the Sovtek 6l6WXT+'s?

As I read some more threads....luggin around 6 6550s sounds a little more entising (sp?) than 12 6l6s...hmm

tOm

20. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    Seems like you have two separate issues...
    you mentioned a problem with your bass above, and though I don't know what it is, it must be something, or you wouldn't have mentioned it. I doubt that any amp will fix that, maybe you could have a good tech look at your bass before you do any serious amp-shopping.

As far as 6 vs 12 power tubes, you may be onto something.
    Ampeg started it all with 6, so it's obviously enough in the right circumstance.
    One of Mesa's answer as to "why 12 tubes?" is that each tube is stressed less, and will last longer. This may be true, as I just retubed for the first time, a 1992 bass400+, but to be fair the amp wasn't used too often.

If you are into overdriving your power tubes, I doubt having 12 would make it easier to do. I have never played a gig yet, where I could come even close to overdriving the power section, that volume would be unacceptable, so for me that's not an issue.
    As far as lugging around, the Mesa weighs 45 lbs naked. The SVT will be nearly double that. That's something that you'll have to decide.

Good luck again, hopefully you can test-drive the SVTs too and make a better decision.