Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sorry, but the Fender Dlx MIM Jazz 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Jan 6, 2001.

1. I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about problems this bass has.
    *what do you all think about poplar bodies?
    *what about the fender bridge?
    do the saddles move during playing?
    *is the quality good?
    *is is a very big step down from a MIA p-bass?

Right now I need a cheap 5 string and there really isnt anything used near me and I dont really trust buying without playing it. For the price it seems like a good enough deal.
    *also, does it sound good enough for good slapping tones?

Any input at all would be helpful...Thanks

2. I was wondering if there is anyone here who would reply. I didn't find much in the archives.

Thanks.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about problems this bass has.
    *what do you all think about poplar bodies?

It's a body. Personally body wood doesn't matter to me if the bass sounds good.

*what about the fender bridge?
    It works fine.

* do the saddles move during playing?
    Not that I've noticed

*is the quality good?
    For the price the basses are a good deal. If I were on a budget I'd consider one.

*is is a very big step down from a MIA p-bass?
    It has little in common with a Standard MIA Fender P. If you're looking for a "Jazz Bass" sound it smokes the MIA Standard P's. If you're looking for a P bass sound this is the wrong bass.

Right now I need a cheap 5 string and there really isnt anything used near me and I dont really trust buying without playing it. For the price it seems like a good enough deal.
    *also, does it sound good enough for good slapping tones?

Yes.

Any input at all would be helpful...Thanks [/QUOTE]

Hope that helps.

4. Thanks for the input Brad.

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have one of these basses it is excellent for the money. Well not even for the money, its just a good bass. I agree with Brad the body doesn't matter as long as it sounds good. Some poplar bodies sound good, some are bad. The hardware is actually better quality than on the regular MIMs. It works great for slap, nice wide string spacing makes it easy. With the active eq, you can get a nice scooped slap sound. As for comparing it to the P, they are totally different animals. I really don't play 5 anymore, I'd sell you mine but unless you live near Cleveland you can't really try it out first. Too bad.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm more than happy to help, Jim:D