Sorry Floridians!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    edit (JT): link removed. dude, that's totally out of line.

EDIT: link is gone.

2. Rofl! I mean, poor things....

3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bliss, that is just horrible!!!

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I know. Believe me, I hope no one dies and property loss is small/none.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You can count on none....I mean since apparently no one has anything left to lose and all....

brad cook
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    no kidding

it was bad enough that they got hit once, but a possible third one?

what a bummer, but that website was funny!!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have two friends I haven't heard from since Frances. One guy called me the day after Charlie. One of them posts here occasionally, bikertrash82.

I must admit that I am very concerned.

8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm sorry to hear that

9. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    lol. It's really sad though...Florida is just getting brutalized. It's not only there though. I have some friends in North Carolina that are talking about floods. But Florida is getting the worst of it.
  10. eek! i hope ivan doesnt come through SC too! we suffered pretty bad flooding and tornadoes suck ass!

good luck to everyone as we go through round 3!
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

But Florida is getting the worst of it

Not even close, bad as it is there. Grenada has 90% property damage, looting everywhere, little food in reserve, barely any airport access, no radio or newspapers working, all prisoners escaped from the jail, and nearly all the cash crops are destroyed. It's not like their government can bail anyone out either.

I visited there a few years ago. It was beautiful, friendly, and pretty carefree. Could easily take thirty years to get back to that. My avatar was shot in the Grenadine Islands, which are part of a different country, nearby, and also devastated.
  12. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    is that headline for real?
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Three major hurricanes in a month?

The state of Florida is closed until further notice.

This is gonna push some folks over the, oh....

Seriously though, I just can't believe this. THREE? :bawl:

I hope it goes somewhere else, no offense or harm wished on anyone else, but we need a break here.

Oh, and Passinwind is right, those folks down in the Lesser Antillies have really been flattened, Grenada looks like Godzilla went on a rampage across the whole island, 9 of 10 homes sustained significant damage??? :(
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im with Tard on all of the above. Another storm is going to push me over the edge as well.

If Ivan does hit in the Tampa Area or anywhere remotely close, then I will more than likely become homeless. I live in a nice double wide mobile home on 1.25 acres of land, with many trees on that land.

Then theres the flooding that will come with it. We've had heavy rain everyday since Frances's departure. The ground is extremely saturated and cant hold anymore water. There are several area's within my neighborhood that are already flooding. Ivan will just put it over the top.

Under normal circumstances I dont want these things to hit anyone regardless of the state they may be in, but this is a storm that we (Florida) definatly do not need and probably can't handle right now. So Im really hoping and praying that it stays in the Gulf of Mexico and makes landfall somewhere else.
  15. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Good luck, guys and be safe! Hopefully this will be the last one of the season.
  16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

This is gonna push some folks over the, oh....

Here's hoping the next one misses land completely from here on out. I have relatives on the Alabama coast, and they're already packing up.

I've been through a few substantial hurricanes, back when I lived in CT, right on the coast. Not fun once it gets really destructive. I can't imagine going through this a few times in the same year, much less in a few weeks.

Best of luck.
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Global warming - its here. Tornadoes, floods everywhere (Eastern and Southern Asia is hit pretty hard by it), changing climates, bushfires, Poles melting, El Nino and La Nina, etc, have been all the warnigs and here's worse to come.

RANDOM RANT/LOUD THINKING (nothing personal here): One thing i dont understand though that there are some places where hurricanes or floods or other catastrophies are frequent, but people keep going back to those places instead of moving to some safer places... Thats so irrational... And then they complain about being hit again and again by a catastrophies :eyebrow: :rollno:
    Isnt it easier to desert such dangerous places? :confused: :eyebrow: :rolleyes:

Another: there are lots of houses destroyed by tornadoes because they were only weakly built... i mean they are not bricks & mortar houses with solid roofs, but thin lumber-walled houses that are easily devastated. Even from an energetic point of view these houses are way worse; the only thing is that they are somewhat cheaper and faster to build - yet the long-term costs are higher
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Building codes only change when there is a reason too.

After Hurricane Andrew in 92 (?) Miami and other parts of Flordia sustained major damage. Actually thats an understatement. The official figure is $30,475,000,000 worth in damage costs from that hurricane alone. As a result building codes in those areas changed. Houses that were built before those codes that were not hit, were not changed. Now that they were hit, they will be rebuilt stronger.

Also, brick and mortar isn't always better. There are reasons why houses in Florida are built the way they are that relate to climate as well as strength.

Lastly, sometimes you just cant do enough to prepare. Case in point, my cousin's house that I stayed in for the first half of Hurricane Frances:

[​IMG] Frances/

For those of you who are unaware, Andrew was a category 4, Ivan is a 5.
  19. Perhaps if America cut down on it's green hosue gas emitions, then there wouldn't be as much climate change, and stuff like this wouldn't happen.

MOD: I am leaving this for Paul to see. You have received multiple warnings from Mods. You obviously never read the forum rules or user agreements. You may see the exit sign soon.
  20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Because, despite the weather we're having NOW, usually it's very pleasant to live in this place. We do not have storms like this often actually, and three in this short of a period is unheard of.

Also, this is where my family is FROM, there is a strong emotional/psychological connection to this place for me personally, and for many others as well. My grandmother has lived in the same house since 1926, you would have her move???? She is actually one of the primary reasons I stay here, I am her only family in the area!

However, I can't understand why so many people have moved here from elsewhere. I miss the "old Florida" I grew up with, back then these things wouldn't have caused the devastation, as there were fewer people, and those that were here understood how to live with this kind of weather, and built for it. The overwhelming majority of people you see on TV whining about the damage and misfortune are transplants that have no clue about what a hurricane is actually capable of doing. Many ignore warnings, thinking "Oh, I've been through a blizzard, this can't be anywhere NEAR as bad." WRONG.

I do agree that there is probably some connection with what humans have done to the enviroment that is causing these storms this year, it may be a "symptom" of global warming (which IS happening).