1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sorry for the dumb newb question...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Twospot, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    So I am new to bass, I don't even have one yet LOL. However my bday is next sunday an my amazing wife is getting me a Schecter Diamond P Custom that I absolutely fell in love with. Its already on hold for us to go pickup. It was an amazing moment to find an instrument that feels so right.

I was wondering is there anything I can start doing BEFORE I even have the bass to start learning? Any exercises, suggested reading (over and above these forums, which are awesome)?

2. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
  3. dtiii

dtiii

Apr 22, 2009
    nyc
    Hone in on the bass lines of any music that you listen to and try to hum or sing along with it.

Congrats on starting.

4. Listen to a lot of music you like, especially the bass lines.

5. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    Thanks all!

6. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    I do have book one. I like the all in one much better. Pretty sweet price as well!

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Dont neglect technique. Whatever you learn, you will want to play it to the best of your ability, and in the process avoid wrist and hand problems that could arise due to bad technique. Having said that, nothing is written in stone, so find a technique that suits you and is comfortable and safe. Now is the best time to develop good technique before bad habits develop.

A few minutes spent checking out these clips would be time well spent IMO.

Best of luck with it, and welcome to the low end. :bassist:

Todd Johnson Bass Guitar : Floating thumb technique - YouTube

Developing Safe Left Hand Technique for Bass Guitar - YouTube

Beginner Bass Guitar Lesson: Left Hand Technique - YouTube

8. The book already mentioned is a must have. I like Bass Guitar for Dummies as a starting point you may find a copy in your public library. The graphs and patterns are very good.

Dummies will have all the how to's. How to hold your bass, how to tune it, how to get sound from it, and how to mute some of that sound, things like that. The fundamentals.

Online Bass Lessons at StudyBass.com is well worth your time. The first couple of pages go into detail how we should use our bass.

Some things you will also want.
    An electric tuner. $15 - $35
    A metronome. Free on the Internet or $15 to $35
    A guitar stand. $15 to $20
    A music stand. $15
    Think about a soft gig bag. You really do not need it now, but, when you start taking lessons you will need some way of lugging that beast around. $35 - $50
    An amp. 10 to 15 watts is enough for practicing. $150 -$200. Get one that has an earphone jack, so you can practice and not disturb the family.
    A cable from the bass to the amp. $15 - $20.

Lessons. $75 for 4 weekly 30 minute sessions. Best $75 you will ever spend. Couple of months to get started, it need not be a lifetime thing.

Welcome to the bottom end.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Ear training.

Also, check out the >500 links below. Should keep you busy for a few days. :D