Sorry guys..some more Mesa/boogie bass 400+ questions ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Sep 1, 2005.

1. hello!!
    my Mesa 400+ just came in, i will post some photos and tell you how it works with my SWR Goliath III and traben 5-string bass.
    Now some more questions, thank you, if somebody could answer..
    1. Are the two inputs 2 different preamps with different tone or is their only difference that one is active and one is passive? if they are different in tone, would it be able to use them both by buying such a footswitsch, what will be the right for it? Line Sector?
    2. What does this mean (according to the mesa website)
    Pull Shift Bass & Treble Controls (Standard Mid Control).

thank you!
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The two inputs are voiced slightly differently. I don't know the best way to describe the difference, other than to say, try them both out! You can use an a/b/y box, or a Y cable to utilize either channel or both at once.

The bass and treble knobs on the amp both pull out to give the amplifier a slightly different tone. When each knob is pulled out, it shifts the frequency of each respective knob more towards high mids, and low mids. Since the "pulled" frequencies are more in a usable musical range, the amplifier seems a bit louder with these knobs pulled out. I usually leave both my bass and treble knobs pulled out, as I like the tone a bit better that way.
  3. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    1. The two inputs are NOT seperate preamps nor are the active/passive. The inputs are just voiced differently. Try them both and see what you like. You'll get a slightly different tone depending on which input you use.

2. The bass and treble knobs can be pulled to activate a frequency shift. When pulled out the knobs will alter different frequencies then when they're pushed in.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sorry, I've been away from the internerd for a few days...

This is WRONG.

They ARE 2 separate preamps. Yes, they are voiced differently and one of them is designed for lower level input. They can be used either together or alone. This is not the same as the inputs/preamps on the earlier D-180, where one pre-amp cascades into the second before hitting the power amp...but you can experience a fuller tone when using both at once.

The pull-shifts work as Cheezewiz states...I go between using and not using them, depending on what my ears tell me at any given time.

Spend some time reviewing how the main tone controls work on your amp while you're at it. They're not flat at 5! This is the biggest thing to get used to on a 400+.