sorry guys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kearney, Oct 15, 2004.

1. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    is it just me or am i the only one here that finds most basses without pickguards extremely ugly?

exceptions: my gretsch electromatic which i removed the pickguard from myself, and entwistle's alembic explorer, there might be a select few more
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a touch of a metal control plate fetish myself... some times seeing tortoise shell makes me feel odd and kinda dirty :smug:

3. I would say you're probably in the minority.
  4. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I prefer no pickguard, I like to see the grain of the wood instead.... that and it really serves no purpose for my playing style.

I would play a bass with one if it was comfortable and I liked the sound of it though. I prefer function over form in most cases. :cool:
  5. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    I just like the look of pickguards on a bass. If they dont have em, thats okay... but pickguards add the "Kool Faktör"
  6. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    you mean kewl ?
  7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    It's just you! :D
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All others here believe strongly that pickguards fairly suck. Tell me how a pickguard would improve the look of either of these.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends on the bass: Precision without P/G = Bad. Jazz can go either way, but a Warwick Thumb with a P/G is equally as bad as the P without.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    A bass without pickguard and with a solid finish = booooooring. If it's not gonna have a 'guard, it'd darn well better have a wood grain.
  11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am the opposite- I find the plastic to look tacky compared to a nice deep quilt or tiger or even a nice burl.

I am aspiring to own a burled buckeye top- that wood gives me...well... :D

12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I generally hate pickguards, expecially sicne I hate using picks. The only basses I can really stand pickguards on are classic J/P basses with a plain color finish. It is a crime to cover up good wood grain with plastic.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like both. I have three basses with pickguards, and ten without.
  14. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
  15. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Pickguards can add a nice bit of visual weight and balance to the right basses, although I agree that some certainly don't need one. I personally find vast areas of figured wood (especially dyed! ew!) more "tacky" than a simple, modest pickguard.
  16. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I cant say it bothers me either way, look at some basses like the pedulla rapture :ninja: the pickguard on that turns a plain looking bass into a sports car look :D!
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    On the other hand, this bass (the only one of my nine that has one) looks good with it.
  18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Personally I like both..
  19. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
  20. To have a pickguard you HAVE to have a solid colour. Putting a pickguard on a natural wood bass(like a warwick) makes em look vile. Also, I think they can make a modern looking bass(like the warwick fortress) look old and retro and really tacky.