Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sorry if this belongs someplace else! Question regarding defretting neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HWK2, Aug 5, 2001.

1. I've got a couple quick questions:

1: What is the fastest/safest/easiest way to defret a fretboard?
    2: The fretboard is maple (supposed to be.. its off of a 1979 MIJ rip off of a fender.. so who knows) is that going to be able to hold up? or is it going to be a problem? I don't know about how strong of a wood maple is (and I am an aspiring luthier.. sad huh? :()

I've got a moto-tool, which I ground down one fret to the fretboard (without touching the board) but that took FOREVER... looks good though :) wondering if there is a better way to do this.. probably..

Again sorry if this is the wrong place.. I wasn't sure :)

Thanks

2. I vaguely recall that my friend asked a luthier about defretting his bass with a maple fretboard and the guy said it was a bad idea because maple is soft. I very well could be wrong though. I have never seen new fretless basses sold with maple fingerboards so that may be a clue it might not be a good idea.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Grinding will take a while, and the sound will be disturbed, as most of the time you will fret on wood but occationally on metal.
    Rip the **** out, put in some wood strips. Maple will do, but needs at least laquer. If you use rounds, I'd recommend card coating.

Now: search the archives for "defretting", and spend a week reading them!

4. Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that ;)

I am going to rip the bastards out of the neck, I read something about some Ohio Forge pliars that have a very fine edge to them, that someone used to pull out frets on their maple board.. I was going to fill in the slots with wood strips so that I could still see the lines (I still need lines.. I'm not that good yet!:() and coat it with Marine Epoxy (Ah Jaco.. ) :rolleyes: atleast, that is the plan.. this bass will have tapwounds on it.

thanks for the info

5. Shouldn't this be in Setup?

I know i was given the keys to the kingodm for setup but A) i wouldn't know what to do just in by means of moving it. and B) i don't think i can move it from someone elses forum.

Merls

6. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Go to a hobby shop where they sell model airplane stuff; they will have birch plywood down to 1/6" thick or so; pretty good for filling fret slots. Also, in the train section they have nice plastic rod 1/8" or so (I have no idea for what) that makes good position markers.

Get a radius sanding block from Stewart-McDondald so you can reshape the fingerboard after you put on the epoxy; I like 12" radius but take your pick.

7. The pliers you mentioned were in a post from me and if you'll look at the last few pages of posts in this forum, you will find not only that post but a link to the best illustrated de-fretting site you could imagine.

Please, JUST LOOK :rolleyes: