1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sorry kids but...old guys STILL rule.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Steve, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    About a million years ago, I walked into a concert a guitar player and walked out a bass player. That was the tour for Steve Miller's The Joker album. The bass player was Gerald Johnson.

35+ years later, I finally get to meet the guy because my wife books his boss for a gig.

61 years old, still stealing the show and making me want to be a bass player.

2. theres some serious "bass face" going on in that vid.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    other than dave being completely unrecognizable now, that was a great clip!

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  5. Pics or it didn't happen.

(just kidding)

That's great that you got to meet him. What was he like?

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    He was as gracious and as pleasant as you would want from the guy that inspired you to pick up the instrument.

and funny as hell.

7. He did a masterclass in LA and was absolutely amazing. He had no band with him, and played sang and danced just like the video. Funkiest player i've ever seen and a really nice guy. He's played the same 2 PBasses for years with flats on them. Very cool.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I still think the bass break on the joker album may be some of the the funkiest 30 seconds ever recorded.

Around 2:15 if you're interested.

9. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    It looks like his bass has a left-handed body with a right-handed neck strung right handed so he is playing the bass upside down.

10. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

Great clip. I saw Dave Mason with Gerald Johnson on bass in Albuquerque in 1977 at an outdoor show and they were doing mostly the stuff off of the "Split Coconut" album. Incredible show. One of the best bass players I've ever seen OR heard. Good to see that Gerald is still gettin' it done. )-(

11. He's one of the more underrated of all the classic rock bassists IMO. He inspired me quite a bit when I was a kid too.

12. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

That bass break is very cool and funky. I bought that album when it was new and played it until I just about wore it out.

Is Gerald Johnson playing with Dave Mason all the time these days? I'll be seeing Dave Mason in concert this summer.