Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sorry McDonalds, You're Still Not Cool

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I need to vent: I am damn sick of McDonalds attempts at being hip. They are the stereotypical dad trying to be cool portrayed in movies. All their commericals have skateboarders/bikers... atheletes who clearly don't eat at McDonalds. Their latest deal... errghahahahharhehrhawrhwrhewrhwe.... "Get a Fruit Buzz."

What are they trying to do? Kids seem to say, "Buzzed" a lot... lets try using that somehow. Is their fruit salad suppose to make me sligtly intoxicated?

Meanwhile, the competition actually does the funny thing pretty well: Burger King's King is so scary/weird he's funny. And Taco Bell's Sauce Packs with their clever sayings, a few are great. But McDonalds needs to give this "hip" thing a rest.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The worst ad ever was for a grill I used to work for. Place was called Moes. It had good food and music, but on the radio spot sung about the restaurent in several of the different styles of music we played.

For example, the fake-Reggae jingle about our lack of any frozen goods ("You know Moe about got no freeza" in a horrible Jamaican accent) or the fake Beatles song about tacos (I believe it was similar to "All You Need Is Tacos") was to much.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Their (our? :p) target group is young African Americans and Latinos. And thats who 80% of our customers are. So, we are going to target them to keep them coming.

In the lobby, there is a poster of the fruit and walnut salad with destiny's child talking about how it makes them feel so great...

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    fortunately, we don't have that stuff at the moe's nearby where i live. that's strange.

and anyone else hear the radio ad for mcdonald's where there is this woman singing (poorly) and then says how egg mcmuffins give her soft skin? :rolleyes:

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Ronald McDonald = SATAN!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Thank you, Maddox.

What's all this positive talk of Burger King and Taco Bell?! Just because dad's not cool doesn't mean his slightly less uncool friends ARE cool.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Destiny's Child: We LOVE to take a whiff of the fruit and walnut salad after eating a scrumptious lunch of 13 slices of cucumber.

brad cook

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You don't get a booty like that from cucumber, Pal.

/bites tongue to avoid obvious cucumber/booty joke

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Pardon me I guess I've got a lot to say on this topic.

If McDonald's REALLY wants to be cool they'll hire whoever designed the logo for Ervin's Fried Chicken in Temple, TX. Now THAT is cutting edge! A dude riding a giant chicken and spanking it with a fried chicken leg?! That's even cooler than retro beers!

[​IMG]

brad cook

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    According to Beyonce you do. I read some comment somewhere once from her about eating cucumbers and tomatoes as a meal. The booty is genetics but look at her wasp waist.

brad cook

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wait... if I wanted a ghetto booty, I would eat a lot of cucumber?

12. I hate the mcdonalds adds of when they would rap about how they loved the big mac so much...

grrrr

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, if you want a ghetto booty then go back in time and change your genes.

brad cook

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    man, that's a funny design! i imagine the guy on the chicken yelling, "this'll happen to you, if ya don't giddy-up!" as he is smacking it with the fried chicken leg of its brethren. :D

15. McDonalds blows anyhow in the fast food world. I was watching Super-Size me, and how it said McDonalds' were all over, and they're the most popular fast food place in the US/World. I don't believe it. You see many more subways, quiznos, starbucks (oh boy, starbucks) etc than McDonalds where I live. Everyone knows that McDonald's is crap, and you don't see many around. Wendy's/BK etc are still crappy, but much less crappy. Wendy's is sometimes decent. I'd go for taco bell any day, and they're rightfully regarded as higher on the fast-food chain.

McDonalds' breakfast sandwhiches are quite good though, if you get about 3 of them.

16. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Your serious? McDonalds is EVERYWHERE. I can't drive for 20 minutes without seeing a new one.

Oh and speaking of bad advertising. Is anyone else mad about the Spotlight that every McDonalds added on their roof? It wouldn't be so bad in the city but out here you can see them for miles.

17. Hmm. How can this be? I think that it might be attributed to what's often refered to as the AOL phenomenon: "People are morons."

Btw, Subway and Quiznos are both very good alternatives, but to get a filling meal (read: footlong, not 6inch) they get way too expensive.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They are?! I regard Taco Bell as being at the very bottom...down there with Long John Silver and Steaming Feces in a Bowl. Maybe it's because I live in Texas, where good, cheap taquerias are everywhere.

brad cook

19. McDonalds doesn't have shizzle on my main man Popeye's place. Good Bayou.

20. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]