1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

[Sorry] modified vintage fender precision value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 7, 2006.

1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Apologies in advance...I'm sure this has been asked, but can't find a similar case (it's probably there, I'm just missing it...)

Anyway, how would you value 1972 P bass (sunburst,rosewood,tort guard) with a good neck and body but [groan]...

EMG P pickup and J pickup (added route obviously)
    Some onboard pre that added a switch but nothing else (battery fits in existing route)
    Original pickup/pots lost
    No covers

Thanks!
    Marshall

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Just guessing, but I would only say it would be worth anywhere from $500-$1000.

3. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That low, eh? Good to hear.

Any other opinions? Not finding much helpful in completed Ebay auctions since values vary so much by year.

M

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    ORIGINAL 1972 P-basses are going between $2200.00-$3000.00.

With those Mods. if bass plays and sounds good?

Maybe in the $1200.00-$1500.00. range.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would agree if you were talking about Jazz basses from that era, but p-basses seem to have a lower value. I could be totally wrong, but that is the trend I've noticed.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have an all-original 72 P, sunburst, rosewood, tort, covers. And going by what I paid a year and 1/2 ago vs this years ads, I'd say it's worth about 2100.

Now typically a refin kills ~40% of the value, but rout jobs kill an easy 50%. But since the original electronics are gone too, and there's a hole in the pickguard for the switch, now it goes down even less. I'd say 60-65% of what an original one is worth...would be brings it to about $850-ish, which I think is fair.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

This makes perfect sense. This was the reasoning behind my price quote, but he laid it out for you nicer than I could have.

8. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2004
    New Jersey
    \
    I agree with Mojo-Man. 1972 Sunburst Precisions in good shape are running in the low twos and up. This bass is worth at least a grand, maybe a couple of hundred dollars more than that depending upon how good of a player it is. There are guys that love those P/J EMG loaded basses. What kind of neck is on it? A, B, or C?

Ben

9. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks everyone!

I haven't checked out the bass yet, so I'm not sure of the neck profile (which would of course affect how nice it would be for me). Considering it as a partial trade.

M

10. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    nicely done work at least...