Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sorry what is a double stop

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by warwickben, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iam dumb i was reading the new bassplayer mag. and i realize i have no clue what a double and tripple stop is. can some one explain i thought i new what it is.

sorry about spelling

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    a double stop is when you play two notes together. a perfect fifth for instance. a triple stop is playing three notes together -say that same perfect fifth with an upper octave thrown in. Of course any two notes can constitute a double stop. any 3 a triple. This originated as classical terminology.:)

3. so its pretty much chords. i know there more to chords. i been playing double stops and triple stops with out knowing. i learnd a tool song and too many puppies and since then ill add them in my playing. i just mess around and find 2 or 3 notes that sounds good togarther. now i know a easy way to come up with them

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    A triple-stop is a chord; a double-stop is not.

5. i know
    but i wasnt sure what to say.
    i didnt want to be like u pick any two notes on two diffent strings and play them at the same time or any three notes on any three diffent strings and play them at the same time.

when i could of just said
    so its pretty much chords.
    sorry

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Sure man. I wasn't sure if you understood; however, since you do understand, "pretty much chords" is a good way to put it.

7. This is some of the stuff i'd like to be educated about. And since my college doesnt offer a bass guitar class, i had to take classical guitar. Much to learn I have.

8. my high school doesnt have any music classes.i go to a tech school. i allmost went to my town's school be cause they have a jazz band.

9. a triple stop is not, technically, a chord if it is root-five-octave.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Let the "What is a chord?" fight begin. Go to your corners.

11. Man, Brad, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was just thinking that same thing. I won't bother joining in the fight, though, because I don't really know anything about music theory. I think I'll be taking theory lessons next semester, though.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I agree with that; however, all chords are at least a triple-stop.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    We're not going to do this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.