Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by oak_roberts, Sep 19, 2004.

1. oak_roberts

Sep 17, 2004
    sorry, this is a realy stupid question but.... i play heavy metal bass/punk bass, an ime gonna make one for me, ive done the designs an everything, but what pickups do i use?? i presume not Jazz pickups for heavy metal and punk, so does that mean i use P-base (i take it that stands for Precision Base)
    cheers dudes :bassist:
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    There's a LOT more to pickups than just the p-Base (sic :p ) and J-Bass varieties. There are also Soapbars, sometimes called humbuckers(but you can get stacked hubuckers that look like J's) and others, Active and passive versions of all of them, as well as issues such as the electronics that go with them or other electronics you can get to use with them. You will find a LOT of info over in the Pickups Forum. But ultimatley it's not a question of shape which is what the P, J, and soapbar names mean. There are MANY options in each variety and very few (helpfull) people will say "You should get (X) brand pickups for Heavy Metal/Punk."

Good Luck!
  3. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Look at what your influences use to get and idea on gear. Who gets a sound that you like? That's a start. Also, go and play a Jazz, Precision, Stingray and any other bass that has different pickup options to get and idea of what sounds you can get.
  4. i just want to add one more thing, don't decide against a jazz pickup just because it says jazz on it. that is just a type of pickup, not necessarily made just for jazz.

just remember...its about the sound, not the name!

5. oak_roberts

Sep 17, 2004
    thanks guys, ile have a look around
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Keep your options open to all types for right now.

And I am moving this to pickups.