1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sorta bass related, I guess..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kawai-chang, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Went to a music store today, noodle on a bunch of Fenders, couple of Warwicks, and an Alembic Essence (my "dream" bass.)

None of them really did anything for me. Even the Alembic. Sad.

I have to say that my three current basses seem to be all I need.

I might not have actual GAS anymore. Maybe just some slight symptoms. You know like malaria does.

2. mokkat

mokkat

Jan 22, 2008
    dont trust music store noodling too much.
    One big store in my city has a pretty good setup on all their basses and have all their amps and cabs for tryout in one big room. Sweet :)
    Another doesnt care about setting up their basses, apparently. And they have a tiny soundproof room with a ton of guitar amps and 1 lousy ashdown bass amp. This is also the only store that sells Lakland, so I went to try a 44-01/55-01 model. I did get to play a 55-01, but in that tiny room, with that amp, and that setup, it felt and sounded like **** compared to what im used to on my highway 1 jazz or even my cheapo washburn :S

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    It's doubtful, I have no need for anymore basses, my main axe does it for me and my other three cover anything else I might want. Does this mean I am cured of GAS. Not in the least. It's not about need, it's about DESIRE.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's possible.
    Different people are wired differently.
    I can play other beautiful basses and know that, for me, I like mine better.

Similarly, I'm an archer. Archers are like bass players - lots of us like to have a lot of gear, or to find "the perfect bow". Some buys are bowhores. They buy and sell, buy and sell, always looking for the right one, which is going to be the *next* one.

Others do some trial and error, and find something they really like, and then they're set.

Then again, I've been happily married to the same woman for 15 years (after a *lot* of shopping around). Took me a while to find her, but she's a keeper.