1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sorting through band members for a new band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I've decided to take the plunge and set up a completely original band of my own.

The only problem- I've been bombarded with quite a lot of replies to my advert. I've managed to sort out the ones that obviously aren't suitable but otherwise I'm stuck as to how to go about sorting out the rest of them.

This is doublely made harder by the fact that I have:
    Four guitarists
    Two rhythm guitarists
    Two drummers
    Two keyboardists

All of these people seem keen to be in the band.

Any help?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Do auditions/jams?

See who/what works best.

And don't ditch the guy with the van ;)

3. Only issue with this is that one guitarist, rhythm guitarist and drummer come as a group who have already worked with each other already and so splitting them up is close to impossible.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So basically you're auditioning for the job of bassplayer in their band? ;)

5. No- they want to join MY project.

6. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I'd start with jamming with those two... if you like them cool keep them and just find the rest. if you don't then get rid of them and go on.

7. What? Work with the group who have come to me or the other musicians who have contacted me separately?

8. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Start working with the group, since they have experience together, it's easier to work with people who are used to playing together than starting from scratch.... but only work with them if they are good. Unless you have a deal about it being "YOUR" band and not a band your in. If you want to feel ownership of it then you should prob start with the ones who contacted you separately.

9. The advantage of the two seperate musicians who came to me is that one's at uni...my uni actually.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im doing the same thing as you right now. I've posted ads about putting together and original band, with lots of replies. Myself, I'm choosing not to pickup on established bands looking for a bassplayer, I dont know why they respond when my ad goes into detail about the new project I want to start, but I have gotten some replies from some bands in a similar vein. I choose to set up audition/jams and have a drummer and guitarist show up, see how we mesh, judge each others intentions and merit and go from there. However, as of yet I havent met anyone who shows any real promise.

11. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    The group that is a band minus a bass player.... (I counted three people..) will not want to do "your" stuff. It will turn into them playing just like they played before, with you added.

For a completely new project the seperate people would be better. If you had time, jam with the band and maybe do two projects :)

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Original as in "original" songs?

If the 3 musos who have played together before agree with your vision and you add the keyboard player, then maybe it might work with you being the leader.

Btw, what is your "vision" for the band. The more defined it is, the easier it will be for the other musicians to sign on or not.

I would jam with the 3 plus trying out each keyboard player.

Then jam with the others in different combinations to see what clicks.
    To make it easier, maybe take each separate guitarist and jam with the drummer. Pick the guitarist. Then Jam with them and each keyboard player. Pick a keyboard player.
    Something like that.

13. Yes, original songs. I have some rough frameworks, but as I can't write for other instruments I need a band to complete them.

The vision for the band is fairly straightforward- the main emphasis will be on doing live gigs, primarily in clubs but also in private functions (if we're needed) and aims for some festivals/touring, performing our original songs with some covers as filler.
    Then comes the studio work- I plan to have a large-ish mp3 and internet output alongside actually making a CD.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let's see how long it stays like that. You'd be the odd woman out sooner or later.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I tried starting my own band a couple months ago with me being leader. Its a huge amount of work. Right away I could tell the personalities weren't clicking and the musicianship wasn't up to my standards. So dropped the idea, and joined an already existing band. Yes, its not my band, but I still have *some* input and its alot less work.

16. In what way?

I know but if I can spend some time finding the right musicians then half the work is done. Plus, I think I'd make a good bandleader.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How did you reach that conclusion?
    What management skills do you have?
    What resources are available to you?
    Just curious. No disrespect intended.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    If she posts a thread on TB every time she has to make a decision...

:D

19. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    I hate to sound like an *******, but almost every band doing originals has got the same vision. Also, if you don't have the skills to write most of the material then your input on the leader/manager side of the things should be quite big if you want to call it your band.