Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

!SOS! ANYBODY WITH A LATE 80'S UK STATUS BASS W/ 2 BAND PRE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by luknfur, Jul 5, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Picked up an '87 UK Status 2 band pre and need clarification on the wiring. Seems to work as it should but volume control is maxed at center position - decreasing when turned either way. There's only 3 wires off the preamp in question (grey, white, and black) so how complicated can it be but wiring it another other way produces no response from bass and treble controls. Any ideas, assitance would be appreciated.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Bad battery?

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Try emailling Rob at Status. Very helpful guy.
    My Status isn't physically here at the moment as it's on loan. When I get it back day-after-tomorrow, I'll have a look for you.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Battery was good to go. There was no distortion, plenty of output, and I tossed it into an OBP-3 right afterward and used it. Initially I thought it might be the volume pot so I swapped out pots and got the same thing and concluded it must be in the wiring from the preamp. I've wired lots of preamps and this is a first.

Dharmabass - appreciate it. I checked out the Status site but wasn't able to gain the info. Some manufacturers are good about response (I think Aguilar responded within a few hours), with others you're just waiting on the Titanic to dock. I'll give it a go.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I emailed Rob but they posted a message stating they've been having some problems with their email so will see. I'll post as soon as it's resolved so you'll know if it ain't posted, it ain't resolved.

Appreciate the assitance.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Rob from Status got back to me today (pretty quick - basically within hours) in an attempt to verify which preamp it was and sounded like the same one. I emailed back so no answers yet but looks like we're on the right track.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I haven't got an answer back from Rob on those wires so if you'v got the bass back and can pop the hood and have a look, I would definetly appreicate it.

Thanks

8. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Which bass have you got?

Series 2000 - all graphite
    Series II - neck through graphite, wood wings
    Series 3000 and 4000 - bolt on neck.

I've got a Series II from this period, but I'm not sure if the preamp is the same for all models. I had a quick look inside mine, and it's got 10 coloured leads all coming off the preamp.

9. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Look, I don't know if this will be any help to you, but if it is, great.

Coming off the preamp are 10 colour coded wires, all joined. Left to right are - white, grey, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red, brown, black.

Grey and black run to the 2 position on/off mini switch.

Brown, red and orange go to the bass pot (L to R on the pot).

Blue, green and yellow run to the treble pot (L to R on the pot).

Purple goes to the volume pot, soldered on top of the pot.

White joins up with a lead running off the bridge pickup.

Man, this looks complicated!! :D

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually I've only got the pups and preamp/harness, but they're out of a Series II. Part of the problem in talking to Rob was there were two models of the preamp installed that year. I sent him a pic but haven't heard back since. I didn't know how long you have the bass again and since I hadn't heard from Rob, I didn't want to pass on an opportunity to figure this out.

The wires in question are black, white, and grey. On this PCB, the black is at one extreme end while the white is at the other extreme end with the grey located next to the white - the wiring is one of those old rainbow looking setups. Just knowing for sure if one of those 3 is a ground would be helpful, and Status is likely consistent with they're color code. I doubt one of them is ground cause there's already a purple wire running off the preamp to a pot back for ground, but who knows.

REALLY appreciate the trouble.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Oops, you beat me to it. Great. Will have look and see what I can make out.

Really cool. Thanks and hope I can return the favour sometime

12. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    See my above post.

Also, check back shortly - I'm gonna try to figure out which preamp you have.

BTW - I was gonna buy the preamp you've got!! I saw it on Bassgear (or maybe here), but I forgot to contact the seller!! :rolleyes: Nice score, the price was silly!

13. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    If you go to the Status site, go into the On-Line Shop, Active Circuits.

They'd got a whole bunch preamps there. Weird thing is that the pots are on the board - in my bass, the board is seperate from the pots. Going by the decriptions, I've got a TB42.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, I went to that site but they're listings there are the current so they won't show prexisiting boards. What's wired to me is that you'd think they'd have progressed in the opposite direction - which most have because the new harness is useless to another bass - not only other basses but their other models as well plus that eliminates over the counter sells to the mass market, not really a great business approach from what I can tell.

I haven't messed with on/off switches so I'll have to look them up for wiring. But which color on the switch is on the same side of the switch as the direction of the toggle? That is (sending this may change the alignment so I hope it makes sense) :

\ toggle <---- left / toggle right ---->

grey wire here? grey wire here?

And I may be able to pay back the favor, see PM

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Where does the hot (red) lead off the battery clip tie into in that thing - with white and pup wire?

16. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Okay ....... let's see now!!

I think the red lead comning off the battery splices with the white lead and the goes onto the mini toggle switch. Sp ignore what I said about the white lead above. And the pickups just join directly to the pan pot.

On the mini switch, you've got 6 pins.

Looking at it from behind, and with left being off and right being on:

Top row (L-R) - Grey from preamp, lead from volume, lead from pan pot plus black from preamp.

Bottom row (L-R) - Small lead to LED, red lead from battery (spliced with white lead), and the last pin is empty.

There's also an open grounding wire that touches every component.

17. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    From what I can tell, tracking that wiring, I've got it right. The only thing left I can think of is you should have a wire that goes from the back of a tone pot (white in my harness) with a capacitor on the end that attaches to the ground lug of the input jack. Does that look familiar at all?

Thanks again

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I got it back, but it's been hell at work and I've been strapped for time. Will do it tomorrow arvo for you. Sorry for the delay.

19. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Rob responded with PDF diagram today - but there's no resistor in it. So if you guys want a copy for whatever reason I'll forward it.