Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SOS !!!! HELP !!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Elliot Smith, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    I follow a internet guide to setup my bass and my bass started buzzing at some frets !!

http://www.weedhopper.org/Bass_Guitar_Setup.asp

I tried to follow other guides on the internet but I don't understand the articles. Here are my questions :

1.) How to adjust the truss rod?
    2.) What should be the action for EACH string?

My aerodyne bass is a 20 frets bass and I normally play with a pick.... I want my bass to be low action so that i can play fast. I hope you guys can provide me with clear information.

2. go over to the setup forum

the strings action should be as high as you want it, or as low as you do, when the necks straight just keep lowering it, til it just starts buzzing when you hit a note hard, then raise it a tad

3. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I think you missed a line in the guide.

Don't forget, the lower the action and the less relief the neck has, the more possibility there is for fret noise.

If the neck is adjusted as well as you can get it, just raise the action until you can't hear the fret buzz through the amp. If you have to get the action ridiculously high to eliminate the fret buzz (which you should begin referring to as "bottoming out") then you need to re-adjust the neck and start over.

You will probably have to adjust many times over to get it just the way you want it.

4. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    jeez.... sound like a real difficult thing to do

5. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    Nobody seem to answer straight to my question.

when adjusting truss rod... press down which frets? Measure at which fret?

What is the action for each string?

6. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    2 methods

1: Press down on 1st and 12th fret, measure at fret 7 (or whatever fret is farthest from the string.

2: Press down on 1 st and last fret, measure at fret farthest from string.

Edit: The mesurement will be the same for all strings, unless there is something seriously wrong with the neck.

7. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    This would be the "How to adjust the truss rod" question. For the answer, see Item 7 and 8 on the guide you posted the link to above. Follow the instructions start to finish.

Since you seem to want a mathematical answer, I'll try to put it in mathematical terms:

Fret buzz + raise action until no fret buzz = Correct Action

There's not an exact number for your bass if it's still buzzing when you are done. Either you did something wrong or there is an imperfection somewhere in the bass or there is something about your playing style or personal preference that comes into play.

If you followed the instructions, and you understand the concepts, and you are comfortable that it is set up properly, then you don't need to adjust the truss rod again. If that's the case, you just need to raise the action until it suits you. That's as simple an answer as I know to your questions. If I'm that isn't satisfactory to you, then I suppose I don't understand the question.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lots of info on this in the Setup forum, which is where I am moving this.