SOS!!! - Rockabilly/Psychobilly

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Nov 18, 2000.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have a Jan. gig offer in St. Louis with a rockabilly/ psychobilly band. The money is good and I'd like to be first call for more. My problems are my gear. I don't think my Fender P/Rick/5-string would be the right thing to show up with nor my amps which are either solid state/hybrid with a sonic maximizer. So, my immediate thought was Rumblefish or a Danny reissue. But, on reflection, Reverend wasn't even born when this music was made and a reissue might look/sound too pseudo. As for amps, mine would look timewarped, (see my "P.S."). I know where I can rent blackface Fenders or a vintage Portaflex there. (I already have bowling/Hawaiian shirts and I can buy railroad boots).

It's been a long time since I got anywhere near this music and even then, I never got deeply into it. I've jammed with these guys at parties and know they are into it...the guitarist has a closet of Nationals/Dwights/Supros. I know I'm always saying that, "Looking good gets you compliments, but, sounding good gets you paid." However, this is about props, not cosmetics. I've already told the contact that upright acoustic isn't an option and that is acceptable to them. With all due respect to those players, I've played them and they don't take me where I want to go.

Maybe I'm a worrywart, but any opinions/input would be most appreciated.

P.S. Switched basses at a gig last night and played a Norton Merlin for the first time. Beam me up, Scotty!

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-18-2000 at 04:42 PM]
  2. Don't worry.It seems like the other players are willing to give advice if something needs to be changed.You obviously understand what the gig requires. Getting the appropriate gear and nailing the feel of the rockabilly swing shows that you are doing your homework and who wouldn't appreciate that?All you can do is your best, and that's more than some people do these days.Good luck!!! Inquiring minds want to know how it goes!!!BTW, have you heard Southern Culture on the Skids? They have an interesting twist on rockabilly and the other forms of "old school" rock.
  3. phatss

Nov 20, 2000
    just the opinion of this wannabee, but I am a pretty heavy fan of that type of music, if I understand correctly, kind of similar to Leftover Salmon, and/or String Cheese Incident, both killer, and I just never got the feel at any of thier concerts that anybody really paid attention to the look or technology of the gear very much, honestly, why sweat over it? sounding good is priority.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Fender Jazz Bass or J-Copy would work. Also a fretless would probably work to get the semi-uprightish sound. Alot of the country Music Videos i've seen [mom & grandparents love country music] the bassist is usually using a jazz or some sort of fretless. I dunno if that is quite rockabilly or not. I have never played in that sort of ensemble since all the ones i've played with are classical[orchestra],jazz [kinda Jazz Band], rock & cover rock. thats all