SOS: What JB Pickup to combine with Fender '62 P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JDLM, May 13, 2012.

1. JDLM

JDLM

May 13, 2012
    Hi Everyone. First, let me congratulate you for this amazing forum that has been of great help in the past to me. Now I am a member and am really excited. Here's my question:

I am building a bass with P/J pickup configuration. Each pickup is going to be wired to a 3-way toggle switch, like a telecaster or the Duff McKagan fender.

The problem is that I don't want to have any of the common P/J packages (DiMarzio, Bartolini, etc.) I want to have the '62 fender p pickup and other and the J probably a JB antiquity or another pickup.

I thought this would cause no hassle because of the toggle switch. However, some people told me this won't really work, and would mess up the sound.

What do you think?

Thank you so so much!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    so you're using one 3-way, with both pickups going to it?

that should be fine. you can't "blend" different levels of the two pickups, though.

anyway, i've had really good results with the dimarzio area J for this; it looks and sounds like a good vintage J pickup, blends nicely with the vintage-style P pickup, and doesn't hum.

3. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    X2 on the Fender 62 and Dimarzio Area J.

The 80s era Jazz Bass Special (PJ) came with 2 500k volume controls, 1 TBX tone control, and a 3 way switch. (I believe the same with the newer Duff bass).

In the middle position, the switch activated both pickups, and allowed you to use both at different levels.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    on a P J, my favorite J pickup (mixed with a fender '62 AVRI or duncan SPB-1) is the dimarzio ultrajazz. it has more low end than most j bass pickups so IMO, it works very well and doesn't have as many 'phasing issues' in the midrange when they're both on. it also doesn't hum like a regular single coil j bass pickup since it's a side by side dual coil in series (like the P).

5. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    NOT the SJB-2. I've had that with a '62 p-bass pickup in a P/J and they clashed.

edit: actually each sounded fine but together, ish...

6. The title of your thread made me think you were talking about a real 62' P Bass.
    I just rebuilt a 62 body with (no second PU) an Audere 4 band pre that amazingly gave me tones from P-to J. It really was an amazing transformation. I don't find I need a second PU. Just my 2 cents worth. And I would never argue with Johnk haha.

peace kirk

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021