Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sosa pops his CORK!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Jun 4, 2003.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I suppose this is going to be pretty messy!!!

The funny thing is, he'll make the Hall of Fame no doubt, even though the (suspicion of) cheating will be on his record. That could have had an effect on his numbers as a player...

Yet Charlie Hustle has been blocked from baseball for all these years and has not taken the spot he earned on the diamond. This is because of reported (suspicion of) gambling that had NOTHING TO DO with his accomplishments as a player or manager.

Hmmm...

[​IMG]

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    OK, could someone explain to me what corking the bat means and how it helps in making more home runs?

I understand the sport of baseball, but I have never heard this term before.

3. if you put cork in the core of the bat, it provides more energy to the ball when contact is made. more energy equals bigger hits.

robb.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Cork or other material is substituted for wood in the core of the bat. This makes the bat lighter, allowing for more bat speed. More bat speed = bigger hits.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    It figures/

McGuire and Bonds probably have a few questionable home runs also.

But damn... what bum luck.

6. Think I'm gonna cork my bass neck!!!! Yeah Thats the ticket!
    Bassguitar been berry berry good to me..
    PEace

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Didn't/don't some composite necks have cork in them?

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Perhaps, but in Major League Baseball only wooden bats are allowed.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's always been hard to be a Cubs fan... :meh:

10. Hafssol

Hafssol Guest

Jun 4, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    That is so sad to hear. I wonder if he has always used them or is this a recent deal? I also wonder if he was using them during that magnificint year when he and Mcguire(sp) hit so many home runs. Baseball is a sport that I've always found rather boring but I occasionally watch the world series.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Isn't the bat weight regulated?
    It's hard for me to imagine that the weight loss is so significant, but then, I don't know much about those winged mammals with built-in sonar... ;)

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, really. Then why fill it with cork? why not toliet paper?

It changes the bat so that it "springs" more. The cork delivers more "Rebound" or "energy" from when the bat and ball meet.

Sure, it gives speed, after all, cork is lighter than wood.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Have any pitchers been banned for throwing spitters (and the like)? If not, I don't think Sosa should suffer enormously harsh consequences for a corked bat. I don't know enough to comment further.

As for Pete Rose: he bet on baseball. It could well be true that he only bet on his own team to win, but compulsive gamblers often become corrupt (point shaving, game throwing) despite their best intentions. That's why the matter is so serious, that's why it's against the rules, that's why I have no sympathy for him.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Cork also provides enough support so that the bat doesn't easily shatter.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Read here for corking info.

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Old cubs fan here.Do you know any cubs fan that would be interested in buying a ball I had
    autographed in 1969, it has
    Don Kissinger
    Ron Santo
    Billy Williams
    and a few others.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A lot of time they use shavings from rubber balls as well. "Cork" is more a historical term for the practice than the actual material used. Though cork is still often used.

18. put a cork in it.

19. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    At first I didn't beleive he "accidentaly" picked the bat; but then I thought, who would cork a bat against the Red's pitcher?! Honestly?! But seriously, I'm interested to find out if any of his other bats (officials have 'em now) were corked.