Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sostenuto sustain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by halfbanana, Jan 9, 2003.

1. halfbanana

halfbanana

Nov 25, 2002
    I asked this question on bottom line list also, but I'm trying to find an effect that will sustain a note I play, while not sustaining everything after, like a sostenuto pedal on a piano (the middle one). The point is, I want to play a bass note for a chord and play off of it while the note holds. Open strings just don't do it for me because there just aren't enough of them. Anybody seen, heard, dreamed of something like this?

2. you could use a looper such as the akai headrush to record and continuously play a sustained not while you play off of it but it can be a bit difficult to do onstage and sometimes you can still notice the "click" when the loop starts over. The Boss Synth pedal can play sustained notes in some way but i have very little experience with that product.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

What you need is a hold delay.
    I use the one from my Korg AX-1B pedal.
    Boss DD-3 and DD-5 delay pedals do it too.

4. halfbanana

halfbanana

Nov 25, 2002
    Really? I was under the impression that delay pedals like the dd3 just provide an echo and possibly a non-specific sustain. Even if it does sustain like that, I see that it's maximum delay is 800ms, which is way to short.

As far as the Korg goes, I'm not looking for a loop type deal. I'm talking about something that would be useable live to continuously hold out notes. But yeah, if that korg will do that kind of thing I stand happily corrected.

Sorry to be so finnicky, Jazz Ad. Thanks for the ideas, though.

5. Jazz Ad

Both the DD-3 and the DD-6 (successor to the DD-5) have a Hold function that allows recording a phrase and letting it loop while you play something else. 800 ms for the DD-3 and 5.2 s for the DD-5.
    I've used a DD-3 live for a while with loops. 800 ms is indeed a short time. It allows for a rhythmic loop or 4 note sequences.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The AX-1 B allows way more functions due to the expression pedal.
    You can sample a phrase and make it play whenever you want (Sampler).
    You can record a loop and have it play ad libitum. (loop).
    You can go forward and backward on your phrase like a DJ thingy (scratch)
    Finally, the more interesting function is that you can record a phrase, play over it, add stuff to it at different volumes, let it fade out or keep it going while playing something different over it, all controlled with your foot on the expression pedal. Lovely.
    The only down of it is that you only get a 1.8 s long recording. Enough for a basic funk or rock riff, not for evoluted accompaniments.

This said, I stayed on the cheap side. Effects like the Boomerang or the Boss RC-20 will let you record way longer phrases and multiple loops, but they're more expensive.
    Most multi effect units nowadays will offer similar functions.

Of course, as you only want to hold a note, setting a very short time (about 0.1 s) will let you do it, for playing against a pedal note.

6. halfbanana

halfbanana

Nov 25, 2002
    Thanks man! Maybe I spoke too quickly. It sounds like it may work - I guess I need to try it out somewhere and see if that's what I'm looking for.

7. Jazz Ad

DD-3 has to be the cheapest pedal that could satisfy you.

8. It's not the delay length that helps you sustaining notes, it's the feedback! Delay length only defines the length of the repeated pattern. But if you want to only loop low notes, you maybe can split your signal with a crossover and send the Low part in a delay/looper. I'm not sure it would be clean though, but with a real low not for the root and clear high notes for the impro, it should work ... With the V-Bass it's possible to handle differently the 4/5/6 strings of your bass (for transpose at least), so you could use a delay only on 1 or 2 strings (I don't know the specifs or the V-Bass but it must provide an internal effect or AUX, or Send/Return on different strings no?).

9. Jazz Ad

On a different note, the Boss Bass synth has a hold function too that will let you play over a pedal hold note.
    [​IMG]