Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soudpost position (again!)

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Harry Horne, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Forgive me for raising this hoary old subject again, but the more I read, the more confusing it becomes. To quote Rufus Reid, The SP should be about 2 inches below the bridge foot. Mine is directly under the foot. Is this wrong or is the positioning so variable as to be possibly correct for my instrument? Yes, I know I should take it to an expert but these are very thin on the ground where I live and I'd like to have some idea how good or bad my SP position might be, in your collective opinion, before seeking the Luthier.
    Thanks for your indulgence....Harry

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Firstly, It's important that the post FITS! No gaps, or you're going to potentially damage the bass. The general rule of thumb is that the post sits one diameter away from the bridge foot. Usually, slightly closer works better. Too far away enhances wolfiness and "mush". Laterally, the post belongs about the same distance in from the f-hole as the bass bar on the other side. Pressure is also important, especially if it's a flat-back. As my idol, Jeff Bollbach says: "Position important, fit crucial". I don't recommend you try this at home unless your bass is a clunker.

3. Thanks Arnold, however I think I'm having a senior ( thick?) moment. Please clarify whether the space you recommend is one clear diameter below the bridge foot i.e. if the SP is 5/8"in diameter. should there be a 5/8" clear space between the lowest edge of the bridge foot and the uppermost point of the SP circumference? Like this? This is view from above where the two squares represent the bridge feet and the circle represents the SP ?

Ex.1 [ ] [ ]
    gap = 5/8"

or like this

Ex,2 [ ] [ ]
    I hope this all makes sense. Thanks to you and all others willing to share your knowledge and friendship in these pages. Regards.....Harry

4. Sorry my drawing didn't come out right once I'd pressed the send key.........H

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Yes, a diameter of space between the bridge foot and the uppermost tip of the post.