Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soul Bass Tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by RichDee, Jun 17, 2003.

1. RichDee

RichDee

Jun 17, 2003
    Rowland Heights
    Looking for funk and soul bass tabs
    Erykah Badue, Goerge Clinton, and D-Angelo

2. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    ok that´s it!!! :mad: :spit:

no more words....

3. wh00t. tabs. :bassist:

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    looks like you are looking for the exact same thing i am...to bad there is no d'angelo tabs on the internet...i always try to sit down and transcribe his songs but they are just to hard for me...i dont have a good ear at all. maybe if we combined forces we could come up with something :) . which erykah badu songs you looking for? i basically want to know how to play most of the stuff from voodoo since that to me, is the best soul cd out there right now. the music is just amazing. well, sorry this didnt help. :meh:

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    There isn't a lot of that kind of stuff out there, as far as I've found - my guess is that most players in that areas either have the reading skills or ear skills to not need tabs and, because of the nuances of rhythm that are involved, those who've tried tabbing stuff have given up.

When I joined my present band, I started off using tab to make some notes but found it quite cumbersome and also not very useful when other members of the band wanted to see what I'd got down. I did some exploration to see if I could find a better format and ended up with standard notation (first by hand and then using Finale PrintMusic).

The other factor that has prevented me from having a big fat soul tab library I can share with you is that the way the song is recorded is not necessarily what I want to have noted. I need the main riffs and structure as I play them with my band...

The things you've got in your favour are that a lot of the songs in the genre are based round a bassline that is essentially short and repetitive (so when you do your own transcriptions you might be looking at ten seconds worth of different notes to cover most of a five minute song) and that, from the live performances I've heard, the expectation is that lines will often be given a fresh spin rather than doled out 'just like the record' (ie. freedom for you to do a lot of improvisation).

Wulf

6. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks for the reply wulf. once again you provided a very good explanation. thanks. well, i am really keen on playing this type of music...but its really frustrating because there is no tabs on it...i guess thats a good thing cause i need to improve as a musician as just learn how to do it myself. thanks again.

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That was refreshing - a reply that wasn't "If you can't give me tabz then SHUDDUP" ;)

Since you're so polite, here's an idea. I've got two Erykah Badu albums (Baduizm Live and Mama's Gun). If you pick one of the songs off there, we could work up some tab via an online discussion... that might give you some insight into what to listen for so that you've got the tools to do whatever else you need yourself.

Wulf

8. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    hey wulf...man i had a whole post written out and it had to many smilies in it so it was erased! dang! oh well. well, i just wanted to say that i had a slight success last night while listening to Tyrone of Erykah Badus live album. i kind of figured out the line...could you play these notes and tell me if i got it right or if i am completely wrong...its actually really hard work transcribing a song..but when you hit the notes kind of correctly thats reward enough. :D . well i play Tyrone like this..
    starts on the E string: Slide from G to B. then D.
    A string: F# then E
    E string: G
    that correct? or completely and utterly wrong :confused: :meh: . thanks....Michael

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'll have a look at that in the next day or so and let you know what I think (it's been a busy gigging weekend, so I'm just starting to catch up on Talkbass ;) ).

Wulf

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What I came up on my first pass (looping round the first verse a few times) was:

G|-----------------------|------------------|
    D|-----------------------|------------------|
    A|---4-(6/)8-6_6----r----|------------------|
    E|-6---------------------|-2-r---2-r--------|
       e e     e e_q    q      e q   e h

The (6/) indicates a grace note sliding into the second beat of the first bar. R indicates a rest and e, q and h are eighth, quarter and half notes. The underscore (6_6) is a tie.

Interestingly, I'm a semitone flatter than you! Mind you, I didn't check my tuning before trying it out...

More later,

Wulf

11. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks alot for listening to it for me...:) ill be sure to try it out as soon as i get home...well, i guess i was completely wrong :meh: ..but at least i tried! hahah..i am starting to sound like my mom. well, its a start right? thanks again wulf!

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You weren't too far off... and you're being too quick to assume that I'm right :D !

The first thing to do is check that we're using the same source - I'm working off track 12 from the Baduizm Live cd.

I also need to check the tuning of my bass before I get too confident about it being in Bbm, and I want to listen to it on headphones before I get too sure about the way it's being played (you get much 'closer' with headphones, certainly compared to playing through the stereo at neighbour friendly volumes).

Wulf

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Okay - I was right :D (at least as far as track 12 of my pressing of the Baduizm Live disk...) ... it's definitely in Bb.

Listening a bit more closely, my further observations are:

1. It sounds like a fretless bass to me (or the bassist, Hubert Eaves IV, has a really smooth touch)

2. The 'groove' of the timing is really hard to pick up via tablature - even standard notation won't capture it perfectly. There's no substitute for listening and playing along until you've made it part of your vocabulary.

3. At the end of the last note in the first bar (Eb), there's a slight drop off at the end (rather than ending on pitch, Mr Eaves sounds like he starts a slide down before choking the tail of the note off )

4. I find the Gb in the second bar works much better at the 2nd fret of the E string than the 7th fret of my low B string. That works with the point above - there's sufficient space in the song to make these position changes and, with appropriate hand movement, my suggested fingering means you never need to cover more than a three fret span between the first and fourth fingers.

I haven't worked through the rest of the song yet (is there another riff later on), but this certainly gets you though the first 32+ bars. On the recording there are minor variations - rather than trying to transcribe them, I'd just relax and feel free to slip in my own variations to fit what the rest of the band are playing.

Are you still there, Michael? Do you want me to listen to the rest of the song and see if there's anything else to work out?

Wulf

14. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    hey wulf...i am at work wishing i had a bass to play the line already!!!:D
    wow....i am really surprised at your willingness to help someone out like this...i find it really nice of you that you take time out of your day to help me out...its really nice to read your interpretation of what the bassist is doing..i will print it out and check it out tonight....thanks alot! well, i feel really bad leaving you with a short reply to your long message cause it seems kind of like im just taking instead of somehow giving back to you...:meh: what to do? well, thanks again. i really appreciate it...;)

15. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It wasn't that long, just a few points.

Actually, I had another listen at lunchtime - I think there's a bit more transcribing to do for the chorus (which is similar to the main riff but adds a couple more notes) and then that's the whole song done.

This kind of music is actually quite rewarding to transcribe because it's often only a few short riffs to figure out and the rest you can do just by playing around and improvising off that framework - you haven't got a whole bunch of chord changes to figure out or anything like that.

Wulf

16. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Yea thats true about figuring these kinds of songs out..basically its just one riff and you can improvise on it how you like...thats why i love playing stuff like this...its perfect to just jam along to the cd in your room..."get your groove on!" maybe even sing along :D . I guess its a good start in developing my ear...Ill have to wait until i get off work again to go play some more :rolleyes:

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Here's my take on the chorus - note that it's a skeleton, not note for note, and that I haven't included timing, dynamics or inflections with this one (I've also added an extra string!):

G|------------|------------|------------|-------------------|
    D|------------|------------|------------|-------------------|
    A|---4-8-6----|------------|---4-8-6----|--------4-3--------|
    E|-6----------|-2--2-------|-6----------|-2--1-------6-4----|
    B|------------|------------|------------|------4---------4--|

G|------------|------------|------------|-------------------|
    D|------------|------------|------------|-------------------|
    A|---4-8-6----|------------|---4-8-6----|-------------------|
    E|-6----------|-2--2-------|-6--------6-|-2-----------------|
    B|------------|------------|------------|-------------------|

Wulf

18. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    hey wulf,
    i played the chorus yeterday and i got it to sound really close...well, in my mind it sounded close. did you use that transcribe program when figuring out the song? i tried it last night with send it on from the d'angelo voodoo cd. It almost made it harder figuring out the notes when they are played so slow. :( . am i incapable? hahahaha...no im just kidding....seriuos practice is needed :p . well, i guess i will download some kind of tabbing program and write the whole tab out to tyrone....hmmmmm maybe i will challenge myself and try to find errors in your work :rolleyes: who am i kidding? -Michael

19. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That should be close enough - in my experience, once I start playing the songs with other people, they start to twist and mutate. Unless you're gigging with a tribute band that prides itself on note for note accuracy, get the feel of the line and then use that as a source of inspiration for spinning your bassline around what the other musicians are doing.
    Yep - that's my mainstay for figuring things out. Slowing things down can help when figuring out a fast lick but one of the main benefits is being able to loop round a small section until you really get it in your head. Also, make use of the markers, which help you jump from section to section and compare things (when the bassline is very repetitive, there are often parts of the track where you can hear it clearly and other parts where it's buried under other sounds... work where you find the clarity rather than struggling through all the other stuff.
    I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard to do ;)

Wulf

20. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    Wulf would you mind tabbing the first 2 or 3 minutes of "Green Eyes" from Erykah Badu's Mama's Gun? I can't figure any of it out...