Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soul Coughing anyone???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RedV, Jul 9, 2002.

1. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Anyone else listen to this band?? I didn't find too much with the search, but I've listened to them since Ruby Vroom and absolutely LOVE the bass playing. Just curious if anyone else dug these guys.

Alex

And this was the best forum I could come up with for this. If it's wrong would a moderator kindly move it for me:)

2. Gah...yes, I would have to agree with you on Soul Coughing...absolutely awesome, and I never get the basslines out of my head...or the rest of the music...for surely good stuff.

-Dave

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Someone here pointed them out to me, good stuff!

4. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I am not sure, but I think the bassist is now with Neil Finn (from Crowded House). Neil Finn recently released a live album, and he plays on that.

And the single from the new album (One Nill) called "Driving Me Mad" sounds like he is playing on that album, too.

I agree, great bassist.

Hogani

5. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Awesome, I didn't know he was playing with someone else. That's rad:)

'scuse me..gonna go listen to Irresistible Bliss.

Alex

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    About time someone started a thread on these guy's. Great band. -Luke

7. We currently/occasionally do a cover of Chicago but its a little more amped up. we actually throw a curve in the beginning by starting into the intro guitar part of Battery by Metallica and going in the the guitar riff from there. then at the end my the the gitbox player heavy it up with him dubbling the bass line (YEAH VINDICATION!!!) :D and rockin it with oh so much nutsack

8. also my favorite Soul Counging so is Supra Genius though

9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I didnt think that ANYONE else knew of this band. Cool stuff if you ask me.

10. I only really like Ruby Vroom, the other albums don't do it for me. Neat stuff.

So the bassist's with Neil Finn now? Hmm... my dad's going through a big Neil Finn phase...

--jeff

11. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I am still wondering about letting the mango though.

Free the mangos!

12. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Saw them about seven years ago during a wonderful night of entertainment at the beautiful Great American Music Hall in San Fransisco. 1st show- Steve Howe(solo), 2nd show-Soul Coughing and Shudder to Think. Good stuff. Duck-a#$ tite rhythm section, noisemaking/layering keys, and a spastic rap/sing/beat frontman. Unique.

13. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Yeah, they're definitely unique.

That must of been an awesome show..Steve Howe, Soul Coughing AND Shudder to Think. Too rad.:)

Alex

14. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Soul Coughing is/was one of my favorite bands.

For anyone new to them, start with Ruby Vroom and work your way through their career chronologically. They didn't exactly get worse in time, but RV still sounds raw and fresh as it ever did. It also has more of an organic feel (IMO) than some of their later stuff...

Anyone see M Doughty solo? I saw one show that was killer and incorporated a lot of banter and Soul Coughing material, and one show that seemed pretty half-assed, which perhaps not coincidentally relied mostly on Doughty's new and old solo stuff. To be fair, though, they were two very different venues with two very different vibes...

15. Sorry for going OT, but I saw Neil Finn tonight here in Vancouver, and figured I'd talk about that since Sebastian Steinberg from Soul Coughing was in it. Neil was okay, I don't like the new album that much (which is called _One All_, not "One Nill", as previously stated). Sebastian played both his upright and a five string Yamaha with P/J pickups, through a Gallien Kruger 800RB and a Mesa Boogie 2x15. Before the show they did an in-store performance/signing at Virgin Megastore, where Sebastian used the GK800RB and a Hartke 1x15. He was much easier to hear in the store... the sound at the Vogue Theatre, which is usually pretty decent, sucked royally. It was horribly over-compressed and muddy, and the bass lacked definition...wait, make that, had NO definition! Pretty pathetic.

Sebastian made quite a few obvious screwups... with saves that were far from graceful...

The drummer was absoutely pathetic, boring, zero feel...

The guitarist basically mirrored what Neil was doing, or pretty half-ass solos. Neil's guitar playing was great when doing his rhythm stuff (as it always is) however when he took a solo it seemed pretty uninspired.

The other main member of the band was a woman who played violin/keyboard. The violin was somewhat interesting at the in-store but was almost inaudible at the show. The keyboard was also almost inaudable at the show, and wasn't set up at the in-store.

All in all a barely average show, far from what Neil's capable of. The best parts were when the band went away and Neil played on his own, he did one of his songs and George Harrison's "Something" (!!!PERFECTLY!!!) on piano, and "Don't Dream It's Over" with just his guitar.

The band just honestly doesn't sound like they're remotely familiar with the material, which is pretty silly... they sound last-moment thrown together, and nobody really seems to fit in with Neil's writing.

Bummer!

--jeff

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I was just listening to Ruby Vroom today. This band was so freaking rad. I saw them a few times in Chicago when they first came out. Uh Zoom Zip gets my vote for "Best First 5 Seconds Of A Song That Gets Ruined When The Singer Comes In."

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too...and I just bought it last week!
    I have had the 2nd album for years, was surfing through my Cloud....checked it out & then realized I did not have their debut.
    Cool band, especially on those 1st two albums.

18. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Saw them in 95 with G.Love and Mike Watt. They still around?

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    Gotta love this!

Bob_Ross likes this.
  20. rumourzbass

rumourzbass

Mar 10, 2015
    they were a great band...saw them live and was completely floored...cds were amazing too...