Soul Coughing

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blunk, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Blunk

Aug 14, 2002

I just heard Super Bon Bon on Launch - by Soul Coughing obviously. Its such a cool song, has a really cool groove. Also Soft Serve is a wicked song! I heard some more of their songs - only to find out they split up a few years ago! :(

Anybody else heard of them? I dunno what kind of genre they are kinda funky/jazzy i guess.

I don't know how great their bass player is but he sounds great to me!
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'm not really familiar with them, but I love the sound of that upright bass. I read about the bassist in BP a few years ago. I wonder how he cranks that bass through 15's without feeding back like a banshee?
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I bought Ruby Vroom on a TB er's recommendation, I forget who mentioned it to me though. My nickname reminded them of Soul Coughing.
  4. Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Irresistible Bliss (i can't spell!) is the name of one of their albums, i ordered it this afternoon, should get here soon! When i asked people about them they thought i was talking about some Death Metal band!
  5. I guess I'm not a huge supporter. Some stuff's catchy...but all I've heard is the same. Over and over again, just too loose for my tastes. Seems like everyone was in a different room, listening to a recording that was slightly outta time.

I'm not saying it's bad, just lack what I look for.
  6. I really like them!! Groovy with some crazy beats. The weird raps are cool too.
  7. My band does a cover of "Its Chicago". I like some things but dont like a few of the snoozing long jazz trippy songs they seem to litter their CDs with
  8. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I really dig 'em. Been listening since Ruby Vroom came out years ago. True, some of the 'trippier' songs aren't for everyone, but if the mood's right the stuff can fit.

I LOVE the bass...some of the most creative lines I've heard in a while.

Yeah, I like Soul Coughing:)

9. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    Soul Coughing's bass player is on Neil Finn's (Crowded House) live album.

He plays electric on the album.
  10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Is Soul Coughing the band that did that "Walk around in circles" song, or am I thinking of someone else?
  11. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    "Rolling" is damn catchy. I first heard that one on the Cartoon Network !
  12. Listening to these guys makes me appreciate the simple grooves in life. :)

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I picked up Mike Doughty's solo double album. Skittish/Rockity Roll. It's good, bare-bones 'simple rock'. No bass, guitar is for percussion and some organ. It's sweet and kind of catchy, very unassuming.